ARK Harbor along with: domestic violence organizations across the country, advocates in the fight to end domestic violence, and survivors, victims, and allies call upon the National Football League (NFL) to wear purple in October 2014 in support of Domestic Violence Awareness.
While we feel like it is great that the NFL has worn pink in October to support breast cancer awareness there is another epidemic that is not a medical issue alone, but one which can be stopped by every individual.
October is also Domestic Violence Awareness Month and public support is a must. Education of the warning signs, the ways to help, the ways to heal must be brought to the forefront.
- 1 in 4 women and 1 in 6 men will experience domestic violence
- Breast Cancer affects 1 in 8 women and only about 1 in 800 men will develop breast cancer.
- A woman is beaten by her husband/partner every 15 seconds
- 74% of Americans know someone who has experienced abuse (though they may not know it when it is happening)
- On average an abused woman will return 7-12 times before leaving the abusive relationship for good.
- Each day 3 women die of domestic violence
- 9.4 percent of high school students report being hit, slapped, or physically hurt on purpose by their boyfriend or girlfriend in the 12 months prior to a survey conducted by the CDC in 2011.
In schools an assembly is held once a year (if even that) about IPV (intimate partner violence.) In most schools it is something that is just glossed over in a quick conversation in health class and never brought up again. With 74% of individuals knowing someone who has been in an abusive relationship the need to understand the warning signs and ways to help is a must.
Cancer is a medical issue which people can watch for, but it takes a doctor, researcher, drug company, surgeon to fix. Domestic violence is something that every person can fight; each person can stand up and say this is not acceptable.
We call on the NFL to do just this, as the role models so many young men look up to we ask you to set the standard and stand up and say domestic violence is not acceptable, domestic violence must end, and say REAL LOVE IS NOT ABUSE.
Every person has the power to end domestic violence so stand with us and tell the NFL to wear purple in October 2014 for the other epidemic in America and the world.
ARK Harbor started this petition with a single signature, and now has 531 supporters. Start a petition today to change something you care about.