As a year round resident of Nantucket I feel the merits of this project are extensive and directly benefit the island residents and visitors.
The benefits include:
• Electricity generated from the wind turbine would offset electricity costs for landfill operations, particularly the 24-hr compost digester ($355,897 in FY2011).
• Electricity from the wind turbine would also offset electricity costs from other Town buildings through National Grid’s net-metering program, and would also generate additional revenue from other Town buildings through sales of Renewable Energy Credits.
• Lower Electric Bills (Energy Savings) at the compost digester and at other municipal buildings, including: Our Island Home, MRF, Town Hall, Fire Department, 4 Fairgrounds and 2 Fairgrounds. Eligibility for substantial state grants under “Green Communities Act.”
• Savings on energy costs can be allocated towards other tax payer needs and projects.
• Defer the third electrical cable from the mainland: generate electricity locally without fossil fuels or emissions, a sustainable energy future for Nantucket.
• The wind turbine is a sign to islanders and visitors alike that Nantucket is serious about moving in to the future in a way that provides energy for all and is nonpolluting and sustainable.