Request for Information from Las Vegas Metropolitan Police Dept. in Death of Tashii Brown
0 have signed. Let’s get to 500!
On Mother’s Day, May 14, 2017, the tragic tazing and choke hold death of Mr. Tashi Brown occurred at the hands of Las Vegas Metropolitan Police Department Officer K. Lopera.
After review of the body camera video evidence, surveillance footage from the Venetian Hotel and information made public by the Las Vegas Metropolitan Police Department, the NAACP finds it necessary to call for the Clark County District Attorney’s office to criminally indict and charge Officer Lopera with the death of Mr. Brown as well as investigate all other officers and security personnel on the scene who may have played a role in assisting with the death of Mr. Brown.
This incident occurred on the Venetian Hotel/Casino property and video clearly shows Venetian security officers, who were first on scene, grabbing, holding and attempting to hold and subdue Mr. Brown at the request of Officer Lopera. These security officers witnessed Officer Lopera taze Mr. Brown, mount Mr. Brown and punch him in the face and head multiple times after assisting Officer Lopera . We believe the Venetian Hotel may have some culpability in this incident for the actions of their security officers on their property.
The NAACP has been in contact with the LVMPD and has requested the following information be made available;
- An immediate ban on police choke hold/neck restraint until further review of this policy and application has been made by the Use of Force Review Team and updated information has been presented to the Las Vegas NAACP and the Las Vegas public;
- Full body camera footage from Officer Lopera as well as the other officers on scene;
- A ten year review of Metro’s choke hold/neck restraint uses to include sex, race, ethnicity, of officer and subjects;
- Training record of Officer Lopera regarding his defensive tactics/use of force training;
- Answers as to if Officer Lopera had been trained how to identify persons in emotional/mental health crisis, excited delirium, crisis intervention or medical stress; and
- Previous discipline history of Officer Lopera, his supervisor and other officers on scene.
It is necessary for the LVMPD to reassure the community and its citizens that they maintain a position of fairness, equality and transparency to all the citizens within the Las Vegas community.
Today: NAACP LAS VEGAS is counting on you
NAACP LAS VEGAS needs your help with “NAACP Las Vegas Request Ban on Choke Holds Use by Las Vegas Metro Police and Information in Death of Mr. Tashii Brown”. Join NAACP LAS VEGAS and 290 supporters today.