#MuteRKelly! Thank You For Your Support!
This petition had 1,143 supporters
THANK YOU FOR YOUR SUPPORT!!!! As we continue to work to get Live Nation to CANCEL THE ATL CONCERT, we would like to thank you all from the bottom of our heart for supporting this venture! There is more work to do, so please keep a look out for us, as we continue to #MuteRKelly.
Love and Light!
Oronike and Kenyette. #MuteRKelly
#MuteRKelly, is a collaboration of VOLUNTEERS in the arts, entertainment, social justice, sex trafficking prevention, and political world in Atlanta. We are INCENSED--given Atlanta's place as the SEX TRAFFICKING CAPITAL OF THE US--that the Fulton County Board of Commissioners Office would issue a contract with promoter, Live Nation, to host R. Kelly at the Wolf Amphitheater on August 25, 2017!
#MuteRKelly is THANKFUL to Fulton County Commissioner John Eaves and the Fulton County Board of Commissioners who UNANIMOUSLY voted to request promoter Live Nation to cancel the upcoming Concert at Wolf Creek Amphitheater on Aug 25th.
However, do to a contractual agreement with Live Nation, they have minimal power to compel the promoter to cancel the concert.
Clearly, requests to Live Nation have not made them move on their decision to host R. Kelly. Atlanta, is one of the hubs of Sex Trafficking in the US, and it is clear that Live Nation cares more about making money and less about the community concerns...
We need to let Live Nation know that we are NOT just going to sit back and allow their corporate decision to over-ride the concerns regarding having R. Kelly in our community!
It's time we take a collective stand against R. Kelly's serial sexual, mental and physical abuse of young African American women. His flagrant disregard for our sisters has been ignored for far too long. Enough is enough. If the law won't stop it, it's time that we take a stand. We have failed our sisters and our community by allowing this monster to continue to prosper, continue to tour, continue to be played at our family reunions and weddings, and continue to get airtime on Atlanta radio.
Atlanta has it's own disgraceful history of child sex trafficking. Our city was named as one of 14 US cities with the highest rate of children used in prostitution by the FBI. In Georgia, 12,400 men purchase sex with young women in any given month. Approximately 100 adolescent females are sexually exploited each night in Georgia. In Georgia, adolescent females controlled by the child sex trafficking trade are sexually exploited by an adult male on an average of three times per night.
The latest allegations against R. Kelly are text book examples of sex trafficking and we cannot continue to promote him and his actions, especially in our city where this is such a rampant problem.
Let's stand together and petition Atlanta's radio stations to no longer play the music of a known rapist, pedophile and child molester. Let's let it be known that we will NOT continue to tolerate the abuse of black women and girls in our city. Let's come together as a community and say BLACK WOMEN'S LIVES AND SAFETY MATTER, not just against outside forces like the police, but against internal ones as well. Let's let it be known that a celebrities ability to make us dance or cry or laugh does not absolve them of their crimes.
R. Kelly's Child Sexual Abuse Timeline:
- In 1991, a then-24-year-old Kelly met 12-year-old Aaliyah Haughton. Three years later, Kelly produced the Aaliyah album Age Ain’t Nothing but a Number and married the singer, using a false birth certificate that claimed the 15-year-old Aaliyah was 18.
- Tiffany Hawkins claimed in a 1996 lawsuit that she began having sex with R. Kelly in 1991 when she was just 15 and he was 24. Hawkins was an aspiring singer. According to court documents, covered by the Chicago Sun-Times, Hawkins’ relationship with Kelly ended in 1994 when she turned 18, and Hawkins then slit her wrists in a suicide attempt. Days after she gave a “hair-raising” seven-hour deposition, Hawkins settled her lawsuit with Kelly in 1998 and signed a confidentiality agreement.
- Tracy Sampson claimed in a 2001 lawsuit against Kelly that she began having a sexual relationship with the singer when she was A 17-year-old intern. She wrote in her lawsuit: “I was coerced into receiving oral sex from a girl I did not want to have sex with. I was often treated as his personal sex object and cast aside. He would tell me to come to his studio and have sex with him, then tell me to go. He often tried to control every aspect of my life including who I would see and where I would go.”
- Patrice Jones said Kelly impregnated her and then coerced her into an abortion that he paid for. She sued Kelly in 2002. Her lawsuit claimed Kelly promised to teach her about the music business as he had sex with her as a 16-and 17-year old. Jones’ lawyer said at the time of the suit that the abortion had a serious effect on her mental well-being
- A video tape was sent anonymously to the Chicago Sun-Times in 2001. The editors believed it to be evidence of possible child pornography involving R. Kelly and sent it to police. This tape did not lead to Kelly’s later arrest, as WBEZ noted in 2013.
- In 2002, the infamous “child pee” tape, 26 minutes and 39 seconds of footage showing Kelly engaging in sex acts with and urinating on a young girl, who clearly appeared to be a minor and was reportedly 14 years old was turned over to the police, and later that year Kelly was indicted on 21 counts of making child pornography, but not rape.
- The case would not go to trial until 2008, in a strategy that some experts call “victory by delay.” The jury would eventually conclude that they could not conclusively prove that the girl on the tape was a minor, and Kelly was found not guilty on all counts.
- Police said during a search of R. Kelly’s home in Florida in June 2002, they found several images of Kelly with underage women engaging in sexual activity. In 2004, A judge ruled against allowing the use of that evidence, saying it was obtained illegally due to the terms of the search warrant.
- In 2017, R. Kelly is once again being accused of having sex with underage women and holding them against their will in what their parents are calling a "sex cult." It is being claimed that women who live with Kelly, who he calls his “babies,” are required to call him “Daddy” and must ask his permission to leave the Chicago recording studio or their assigned rooms in the “guest house” Kelly rents near his own rented mansion in suburban Atlanta. A black SUV with a burly driver behind the wheel is almost always parked outside both locations. Kelly confiscates the women’s cell phones, they said, so they cannot contact their friends and family; he gives them new phones that they are only allowed to use to contact him or others with his permission. Kelly films his sexual activities, it is said said, and shows the videos to men in his circle.
Enough of this! Let's end this man's career, and start by sending a message that in the home of MLK and the Civil Rights' Movement, the decision to bring questionable acts to our community will no longer be tolerated!
Today: Oronike is counting on you
Oronike Odeleye needs your help with “#MuteRKelly! Thank You For Your Support!”. Join Oronike and 1,142 supporters today.