Montgomery County: Keep children safe at hotel pools by having lifeguards on duty
This petition had 286 supporters
Montgomery County Maryland families
The hotel industry has introduced Bill 16-17 in Montgomery County, if passed the bill will remove the existing law requiring Lifeguards to be on duty at hotel pools.
Lifeguards keep children safe in Montgomery County.
Sign this petition to oppose Montgomery County Bill 16-17 and keep our Lifeguards patrolling hotel pools. The hotel lobby has introduced Bill 16-17 to the Montgomery County Council; IF passed it will eliminate the law that currently requires lifeguards patrolling all hotel pools in Montgomery County. For the past 50 years Montgomery County has required at least one lifeguard on duty at all hotel Pools, IF Bill 16-17 is passed it will eliminate 50 years of precedent in Montgomery County and significantly lower the level of public safety at hotel pools in the county
The Association of Pool and Spa Professionals (APSP) has met with each and every Montgomery County Council member and provided the following:
- Objective statistical studies published by nationally recognized organizations (listed below) that support the need and effectiveness of lifeguards patrolling swimming pools.
- A Study detailing the actual cost of lifeguards to the hotels in Montgomery County (the cost of lifeguards is extremely low).
- The swimming pool management companies have provided Incident reports that document the actions of lifeguards in Montgomery County responding and saving lives of residents over the past 5 years, proving residents rely on lifeguards as first responders.
- The Centers for Disease Control (CDC) published a study entitled: “Lifeguard Effectiveness”. The study proved through case studies that lifeguards significantly improves public safety and consistently prevent accidents and significantly increase public safety as compared to jurisdictions which don’t require lifeguards.
- Nationally recognized organizations which promote/recommends the presence of lifeguards at swimming pools:
- American Red Cross
- The Centers for Disease Control (CDC)
- BoatUS Foundation
- Boy Scouts of America
- The Canadian Red Cross Society
- Girl Scouts of America
- National Recreation and Park Association
- Jeff Ellis and Associates
- The Model Aquatic Health Code appendix (MAHC) - CDC
Children are most at risk, as they rely most on lifeguards patrolling and managing swimming pools to provide a safe environment and prevent accidents. Accidental drowning is a leading killer of children:
Accidental drowning is #1 killer of children ages 1 to 4 years old;
#2 killer of children ages 5 to 9 years old;
#3 killer of children 10 to 14 years old.
Actual Bill 16-17:
In addition to signing this petition please write to our 9 honorable Montgomery County Councilmembers and express your opinion on Bill 16-17. This is an important topic that deeply effects children in our community, who are most at risk at swimming pools and who are voiceless. Please give our children a voice by signing the petition and writing to the honorable council members below:
Mr. Roger Berliner – Council President
Mr. Sidney Katz – Lead Sponsor of Bill 16-17
Mr. Marc Elrich
Ms. Nancy Floreen
Mr. Tom Hucker
Mr. George Leventhal
Ms. Nancy Navarro
Mr. Craig Rice
Mr. Hans Riemer
Today: Erik is counting on you
Erik McClain needs your help with “Mr Roger Berliner - Council President: Montgomery County: Keep children safe at hotel pools by having lifeguards on duty”. Join Erik and 285 supporters today.