Change reservation from Caste based to Income based in India
This petition had 7 supporters
I believe in reservation. It is meant to uplift the ones who are not as fortunate as others. It generates equality and equal opportunities for everyone.
Caste reservation made sense when the poor in the society were the ones who were from backward classes. The times have changed and it is a common thing where people getting reservations are from well to do or rather a very wealthy family. It does not make any sense to keep with the old system and create inequality in the country.
Some of the advantages of income based reservation system are:
Case for Income Based Reservation
1. Reservation should be for the poor: To provide equal opportunity as far as equity is concerned, reservation policy should be associated with economic status and rich/poor classification. This will prevent the privileged classes in minority communities from unduly benefiting from caste based reservation, whether it is in government jobs or medical admissions.
2. Income based reservation will help urban-rural population: India still lives in her villages and instead of caste based reservation, income based reservation will be more beneficial because people from rural areas and low income groups will benefit. Even the urban poor need assistance and special affirmative action programs will be able to ensure their continued upliftment
3. People from high income groups would stop getting undue benefits - Those below the poverty line and low income groups are the ones that need help. Income based reservation will see to it that people from high income groups are barred from advantages given that they have already received the benefits of economic upliftment
4. This will stop the rush to get OBC/SC/ST status: Many castes are making attempts to be classified as backward to avail the benefits. Consider the Patels or Patidars of Gujarat who are an economically and politically dominant community. Given that the Patels have worldwide presence as entrepreneurs and NRIs, it seems ironical that they are demanding caste based reservation for their community.
5. Existing reservation policy has failed: Caste based reservation has failed to assimilate SC and ST within the mainstream.
6. People from majority communities are facing unemployment too- Lack of jobs despite a model of development that promises unparalleled growth is a reality in India, regardless of which political party is at the helm. Over the past few decades, India’s young working population has risen while the number of jobs have fallen. Caste based reservation in favour of the creamy layer has proved to be discriminatory for those belonging to the general category. General category students are being denied jobs and admissions because of the caste based reservation system.
7. Educated youth will get better benefits: The poor, educated youth will benefit from income based reservation and get a chance to access a brighter future.
8. Caste based reservation was only a temporary provision to start with: Reservation policy was initiated as a temporary provision for only 10 years in the Indian constitution in 1950s and it was never meant to be a permanent feature of national policies. Vote bank politics sustained the system rather than genuine consideration for the poor and oppressed in society. The caste based reservation system has failed to include the people at the lower end of mainstream society and economy.
9. Non poor seen as beneficiaries of reservation will promote caste divide: Agitations such as the Patidar stir are just symptoms; eventually the malady will spread to promote divisions in society based on caste and even contribute to caste conflicts.
10. Caste based reservation has not prevented ill treatment of Dalit and lower castes: Discrimination is still rampant against members of SC and ST community especially in rural areas. Reservation in the name of caste has done nothing to prevent this.
11. Deprived deserve a reprieve - Income based reservation will ensure that the creamy layer does not make off with a majority of the benefits while those from poorer sections yet belonging to minority communities are left on the sidelines.
With initiatives like linking of Aadhar and Digital India, it has become a lot easier to track the actual income of individuals. We finally have a government in place which holds power to make such a change.
I request Mr. Narendra Modi to consider this as a request and think about if our nation is ready to move from caste based reservation to an income based reservation.
Today: Ashish is counting on you
Ashish Pandey needs your help with “Mr. Narendra Modi: Change reservation from Caste based to Income based in India”. Join Ashish and 6 supporters today.