Please sign this petition if you support Australian music.
Currently, many commercial radio and television stations in Australia play less than 10% local music, while the internet is completely unregulated.
More Australian music in the Australian media is vital to "developing and reflecting a sense of Australian identity, character and cultural diversity", as outlined in the Federal Government Broadcast Act.
The FTA (Australia United States Free Trade Agreement) prevents the Australian government from setting the local quota higher than 25%, however, the FTA does not prevent the Australian Government from setting a minimum quota of 25% Australian music in the Australian media.
Australia has local content quotas to protect local producers in television, mining, agriculture and other industries, why not music?
More Australian music in the Australian media will:
• revive the local recording industry
• revive the live music industry
• create stable employment for tens of thousands of musicians
• create a booming music export market worth billions of dollars each year
• keep music royalties in Australia worth hundreds of millions of dollars each year
• increase music tourism to Australia worth billions more
To revive the Australian music industry, the Australian Government should encourage media to play a minimum of 25% Australian music content, composed and performed by Australians, in all genres, in all Australian media, including radio, television, internet and live shows.
If you feel strongly about Australian music, now is the time to stand up and do something!
- Prime Minister of Australia
- CEO of Australian Communications and Media Authority (ACMA)
- Leader of the Australian Greens
Richard Di Natalie
- Prime Minister
- Shadow Minister for the Arts
- Minister for Communications & the Arts
- Shadow Minister for Communications
- Minister for Employment
- Shadow Minister for Employment and Workplace Relations
To revive the Australian music industry, please introduce a minimum quota of 25% Australian music,
• Composed, performed and produced by Australian residents and citizens;
• Half new music released within 5 years, half released more than 5 years ago;
• In all format categories, covering all music genres;
• In all Australian media, including but not limited to terrestrial and digital radio, television, films, advertising, commercial websites, live shows, music reviews, music editorials, music interviews, featured music, piped music, music on hold;
• Distributed evenly, calculated as a percentage of the total number of musical items, the total number of artists and the total time occupied broadcasting music within every three-hour period throughout each day;
• Appropriate incentives for compliance;
• Increase to 35% in 2016.
John Prior started this petition with a single signature, and now has 9,480 supporters. Start a petition today to change something you care about.