Support Bill "HF 951"
0 have signed. Let’s get to 25,000!
Petition created by; Isra Hirsi, Zigi Kaiser and Manny Nuñez
(Freshmen at South High School in Minneapolis, MN)
House Bill HF 951 states "Civil right to vote restored to an individual upon release from incarceration or upon sentencing if no incarceration is imposed, notice required, and county attorney obligation to promptly investigate voter registration and eligibility repealed."
The bill will return the right to vote to convicted felons that have completed their sentences and have returned to society.
HF 951 did not receive a vote nor a hearing.
This bill is critical to criminal justice due to the disproportionate number of people of color being incarcerated. As convicted felons, they have lost their right to vote in perpetuity. The bill will return the right to vote to convicted felons in Minnesota that have completed their sentences and have returned to society.
Here are some real facts:
- In Alabama, a total of 34% of black men (even ones who are not in the criminal system anymore), have lost the right to vote.
- African Americans are incarcerated at more than 5 times the rate of whites.
- In 12 states more than 50% of the prison population is African-American.
- There are more than 2 million people in prison across America.
- An estimated 5.3 million Americans are denied the right to vote based on a past felony conviction.
- 1 in every 10 black men is in prison or jail at any time.
- The nationwide average shows that 1,408 per 100,000 black people are incarcerated compared to 275 per 100,000 whites
Now that the 2018 legislative session is over, we need to bring up this bill and make sure that it passes for next year's session (2019).
Please sign this petition to bring attention to this bill, we will be emailing every single new state representative following midterm elections.
Contact us: firstname.lastname@example.org
Today: Isra is counting on you
Isra Hirsi needs your help with “MN State Representatives: Support Bill "HF 951"”. Join Isra and 16,603 supporters today.