Ankle Broken in 3 places, Awaiting operation #FreeLionel
Feb 29, 2020 —
Thank you all for signing this petition for Lionel, many of you may have been following out updates on twitter search hashtag #Freelionel or check out @followmfj
After almost four days in agony, unable to move Lionel was finally taken to hospital. We now know he has fractures in 3 places and needs an operation (which he will have on Monday). Who knows what kind of permanent damage has been done by Mitie's refusal to take Lionel to hospital straight after the accident!
How they treated him is how they treat all detainees - like animals, the guards and 'healthcare' staff at the detention centre view all detainees as liars, the only care Lionel got was from his cellmate and other detainees.
That last night before they finally took him to hospital was the worst, by that point his back was also in agony and he was struggling to move any part of his body, he couldn't move his arms and body to urinate into the bottles his cellmate was bringing and spilled urine on himself, he was left in urine soaked clothes all night. That day, over hours they kept sending staff to 'take' him to hospital but he couldn't move to get into a wheelchair. In desperation he and his fellow detainees called the police to beg them to bring an ambulance into the centre (the ambulance had said previously when Lionel called them that if they came they would not be allowed in). It was only after that, finally that an ambulance came and he was taken out on a stretcher.
It is really important we keep the pressure on because right now Lionel is in hospital but still they have two guards at his bedside at all times, they are refusing to allow him visitors and restricting his access to his own phone. They are saying after his operation he will be brought back to detention to 'recover' - we cannot allow that to happen!
His lawyers are working on a court action to get him released, we need to keep up the pressure to ensure this man is NOT taken back to detention, that he is given back his phone and he is allowed family and friends to visit. Please keep sharing the petition and contact your MP about Lionels situation. Mitie and the Home Office would like to hide what they have done and are doing to Lionel - we must keep exposing the truth and demanding his release!
This is why ALL detention centres need to be SHUT DOWN!
Some things you can do alongside sharing the petition...
1. This is Mitie's 'care and custody' webpage - use the contact form to contact them and tell them Lionel Shaw HO ref CEU/5321849 should have access to his phones and visits while in hospital, that denying him this is denying him his basic human rights https://www.mitie.com/all-services/care-custody/?filter-service=care-custody&filter-search=
2. Email the directors of Mitie...
Managing director - firstname.lastname@example.org
Operations Director - email@example.com
3. Call the detention centre switchboard - express your concern that Lionel Shaw HO ref CEU/5321849, still has guards on him at all times and he is being denied visitors and access to his phone in breach of his rights - 02086075200
4. Contact John McDonnell MP (The detention centre and hospital are in his constituency) - ask him to take action to ensure Lionel Shaw is not brought back to detention and that he is given access to his phone and visits while in the hospital HO ref CEU/5321849
5. Contact your own MP and ask if they will make enquiries - tell them to get behind calls for detention centres to be shut down to end this inhuman and abusive treatment.
Keep fighting for people power!
Politicians and rich CEOs shouldn't make all the decisions. Today we ask you to help keep Change.org free and independent. Our job as a public benefit company is to help petitions like this one fight back and get heard. If everyone who saw this chipped in monthly we'd secure Change.org's future today. Help us hold the powerful to account. Can you spare a minute to become a member today?I'll power Change with $5 monthly