SAVE Halifax County Court and Family Court AND Halifax (Calderdale) Magistrates’ and Family Court from closure
This petition had 365 supporters
WE NEED YOUR HELP....
On 23 June 2015, the Lord Chancellor and Secretary of State for Justice announced his intention to work with the judiciary to reform the courts and tribunals in England and Wales. On the 16th July, both Halifax Courts are among the 91 Courts under consultation for CLOSURE!
On the 22nd July 2015, a motion proposed by Councillor James Baker to save both Halifax Courts was unanimously passed by Calderdale Council. Tim Swift as leader of the Council shall be responding on behalf of the Council in their response.
In Halifax we currently administers both Civil and Criminal matters at:
- County Court and Family Court;
- Halifax (Calderdale) Magistrates’ and Family Court
What will happen to the Court services in Halifax?
- This will be transferred to the Bradford combined Courts.
Why is saving our Halifax Courts important?
- It will diminish peoples ACCESS TO JUSTICE in Calderdale;
- Closure of the Magistrates' Court will remove local magistrates with local knowledge administering the law on offences committed in Calderdale;
- The loss of access to justice is at local level. Our Justice system is integral to Calderdale;
- The conflict with the Government’s commitment to localism.
Who does this affect?
- This will affect everyone;
- Increased travel time to Bradford Courts;
- Increased costs to Court users such as witnesses and members of the public;
- The difficulties which will be created for members of the public who do not have access to private cars;
- Additional travelling time for solicitors for which they cannot be reimbursed through legal aid funding;
- The additional cost to the Court Service resulting from cases not being heard due to individuals arriving late or failing to attend altogether;
- Bradford is already a busy court and therefore administration of cases irrespective of technology will increase;
- Redundancies - Closure of two courts will ultimately result in redundancies if court staff are unable to be transferred;
- Two empty Listed Buildings.
PLEASE sign the petition and make your voice heard on these important changes to our local courts system. We shall provide this petition to the Ministry of Justice in support of saving Halifax Courts.
We have until the 8th October 2015 to respond.
The full consultation paper can be viewed at:
Join us on Twitter & Facebook @SaveOurCourt
If you would like to get involved or can help with our campaign - please contact us on social media or email: email@example.com
WE NEED YOUR SUPPORT!!
Today: Ed is counting on you
Ed Birkby needs your help with “Ministry of Justice: SAVE Halifax County Court and Family Court AND Halifax (Calderdale) Magistrates’ and Family Court from closure”. Join Ed and 364 supporters today.