Minister Wynne, CALL IT IN ... Save Our Preston Market
This petition had 2,078 supporters
The Preston Market is unique:
- 45 year history.
- Multi-cultural hub of Melbourne’s North.
- Second largest fresh food and produce market in Victoria.
- Visited by 5.5 million people per year.
The Preston Market is under threat. Developers have plans to build 3 residential towers, one being 14 storeys high. If such high density development is permitted it would result in:
- significant reduction in car parking,
- increased pressure on local infrastructure (e.g. roads and public transport).
- threatening the long term future of the market as we know it, the vibrant community hub that connects and empowers communities and provides affordable fresh produce.
Darebin Council voted unanimously to reject both applications on Monday 27 February 2017. The applicant has a right to appeal to VCAT within 60 days.
Preston Market now needs an exceptional intervention to survive
We will be petitioning the Planning Minister to 'call-in' the applications. If effective, it will halt all development on the Preston Market site. This gives an opportunity for genuine community consultation that reflects current sentiment. Listen to community's voices here in this 3 minute video.
If you agree with our endeavour, please sign this petition to Save Our Preston Market from overdevelopment and becoming a sterile, generic shopping centre.
We demand that Minister for Planning, Hon Richard Wynne, 'call-in' all proposed developments to the Preston Market site as it does not meet the requirements of the Darebin Planning Scheme and threatens to destroy the unique experience that the market provides to the community.
Today: Save Our Preston Market is counting on you
Save Our Preston Market needs your help with “Minister Wynne, CALL IT IN ... Save Our Preston Market”. Join Save Our Preston Market and 2,077 supporters today.