Make comprehensive sex education classes compulsory in schools
0 have signed. Let’s get to 1,000!
Sex has always been a taboo in India for as long as one can remember. Not only has this lead to the creation of stereotypes and assumptions around the word itself, it has also taken a drastic toll on the lives of millions of Indians.
What happens when children are not educated about contraceptive and protection methods from a young age is that many of them grow up not understanding the proper meaning and usage of them and end up indulging in sexual activities without proper protection. This leads to them contracting STDs and other infections which can be life threatening at times. India is the third largest HIV epidemic in the world. In 2016,
- 2.1 million Indians were living with HIV
- 62,000 HIV related deaths took place
- 80,000 new HIV infections were found
When safe sex education is not provided at an appropriate and necessary age, it can lead to a lot of unanswered questions which people try to find the answers to through the reel channels such as TV shows and pornography. This not only sets unrealistic expectations for a large section of the population, but these mediums often fail to acknowledge the precautions that have to be taken during sexual intercourse such as using a condom.
Sexual orientation and sexuality are also barely talked about topics in the country. Because people often avoid talking about the LGBTQ+,many people grow up not exploring their sexuality or being uncomfortable with it at times. It is important to embrace your true self and for that, knowing the different orientations is important.
Making comprehensive sex compulsory is the need of the hour and making it a compulsion in schools will largely affect the way the younger generation views sex. The students will have an educated person providing them proper information as well as clearing out any misunderstanding and answering any doubts that they might have. Also, since the classes will be held at school along with students of the same age group, the students will feel more comfortable and will be able to freely ask whatever questions that they might have.
Things that this petition plans to achieve are as follows:
- Make comprehensive sex education compulsory in all schools thus educating youngsters about not only sex, but safe sex, contraceptives, protections to be used and more.
- Spreading awareness about different methods of protection and contraception.
- Educating the youngsters about different sexual orientations and reducing the taboo around the LGBTQ+ community.
- Reducing the taboo surrounding the word sex.
- Making it easier for youngsters to talk about it and get the answers to all their questions.
Today: Neha is counting on you
Neha Lad needs your help with “Minister of : Make comprehensive sex education classes compulsory in schools”. Join Neha and 671 supporters today.