comprehensive gun legislation
0 have signed. Let’s get to 200!
Since the Columbine High School Massacre in 1999, students in the United States have increasingly begun to fear for their lives and safety while attending schools. The recent Stoneman Douglas High School shooting is yet another example of violent and tragic infringement on the peace that should exist in schools. Despite repeated tragedies, Congress and state governments have taken little to no action on gun legislation that would prevent guns from getting into the hands of those who are not mentally stable or responsible enough to own them.
This petition is intended to push lawmakers into passing gun control legislation that will make it difficult for people who shouldn’t have guns to obtain them. It will also hopefully act as a set of gun safety standards that the citizens of this nation can hold its legislators to. We are pushing for:
- Raising the minimum purchasing age of firearms to 21
- A ban on semi-automatic and automatic assault rifles
- A broadening and enforcement of background checks that include mental health screenings
- A longer waiting period for firearm purchases- to prevent suicide by gun
- A repeal of the Dicky Amendment, which prevents the CDC from conducting research on Gun violence- research can enlighten patterns that will help prevent future mass shootings, knowledge is power
- Periodic mental health checks for gun owners- to check that gun owners are still mentally fit to own their weapons
Today: Grady is counting on you
Grady Fagan needs your help with “Mike Coffman: comprehensive gun legislation”. Join Grady and 113 supporters today.