Petition Closed

Allow people to travel to and from Sweden while extending their Swedish residence permit

This petition had 2,958 supporters

With the massive amount of people moving to Sweden in the recent years, the extension process for residence permit (including work permit and the upgrade to permanent residence permit) now takes a very long time, the fastest being 5 months and it could go as long as 18-20 months, with the average estimated waiting time is 11 months (data from immigration office's website). During this time, the applicant cannot travel back to Sweden if they travel abroad, making it practically impossible to leave Sweden in the first place.

I have several friends who tried to call immigration office (Migrationsverket) to ask for a permission to leave for business trip or personal matter but was rejected by them and was informed that everyone is on the same boat now. The same answer was received by moving companies (companies who specializes in helping people with immigration process) when they ask Migrationsverket if it's possible to fasten the extension process.

This situation gives a negative impact both in business and societal area considering a lot of people do business trips abroad everyday and a lot of people still have their loved ones abroad. Other countries such as Denmark have come up with a solution of having the immigration office producing a sign/sticker that is pasted on the passport stating that the residence permit is currently in process so that the applicant can still travel.

I personally will need to extend my work permit by October this year and will need to visit my home country in mid 2018 for an important family matter. I have a permanent full-time job in Sweden and I pay tax to Swedish government, but now I face a fear to not be able to visit my home country due to the regulation.

Migrationsverket officers, if you read this, imagine that you have your parents living abroad and one of them suddenly fell gravely ill. You obviously would like to see them, maybe for the last time. However, you still have your residence permit extension on process, therefore it would not be possible for you to visit them with the current regulation. Please have some heart and change the regulation and allow us to travel.

Today: Abraham is counting on you

Abraham Setiawan needs your help with “Migrationsverket: Allow people to travel to and from Sweden while extending their Swedish residence permit”. Join Abraham and 2,957 supporters today.