Stater Bros: Improve the Allen Ave grocery store in northeast Pasadena
0 have signed. Let’s get to 100!
In the transition between the Vons becoming a Stater Bros store, our neighborhood grocery store in northeast Pasadena will be closed for improvements. While we are pleased that the site will remain a grocery store and that the interior will be updated, we feel that now is an opportunity to make outside site improvements to increase the safety and security of its patrons and nearby neighbors as well.
Below are the issues we would like to see improved:
- More pedestrian friendly. Many elderly residents walk to the grocery store, and many other neighbors do as well, but getting to the store through the parking lot is frightening at times. There needs to be safer paths to the store for pedestrians off of Allen Ave, E Washington, and Bellford. Students walk across the lot and past the delivery docks to Bellford which is very dangerous.
- Enclosed dumpsters. The store's dumpsters are not covered, which is both unsightly and unsanitary. Many commercial centers have their dumpsters enclosed to prevent this and bad smells. We want the same for our neighborhood.
- Covered loading docks. The delivery truck design is a disaster. However, given the age of the store, it is what it is. But there is an opportunity to reduce the truck noise and air pollutants by covering the loading docks. Thus, a sound enclosure around the loading area should be mandatory to bring the delivery trucks into compliance with the city noise standards. This can be constructed as a stucco tunnel enclosure lined with a 2-inch-thick absorptive blanket on the interior walls and ceiling.
- Shielded LED parking lot light fixtures. Shielded light fixtures force the light straight downward, reducing light pollution. These are better for the environment and the neighborhood.
- Maintain limited hours of operation. One major risk is that a new grocer will seek operating 24-hours a day. It increases the chance of crime and additional noise.
- Increased security. We would like to see on-site security during all business hours. In particular, this will help keep the parking lot safe for pedestrians.
A recent survey conducted on the site - surveymonkey.com - shows majority support for the site improvements. (Note: while it is a small sample taken, the responses are from adjacent residents to the site.) While residents cannot control lower prices, we can advocate for the other site improvements. 52% of respondents want improved store security both inside and outside of the store. Whereas, 43% of respondents want store access to be more pedestrian friendly, as well as shielded LED park lot lights.
We encourage Stater Bros and the property owner to invest in these improvements, as well as to work with the community in dealing with the issue of store safety and alcohol/liquor sells. We are grateful for the site to remain a grocery store, but we believe this is a once-in-a-lifetime opportunity to make improvements to this aging store and site.
Please sign our petition and help improve our community grocery store and neighborhood.
Today: Save Allen Ave is counting on you
Save Allen Ave Grocery needs your help with “Michael Reed: Improve the Allen Ave grocery store in northeast Pasadena”. Join Save Allen Ave and 76 supporters today.