Provide a safe biking route between Upper and Lower Laurel, and to surrounding schools.
This petition had 96 supporters
This October, Upper Laurel School will open in the Willows neighborhood of Menlo Park. The new school will serve over 300 children in grades 3 to 5. The City of Menlo Park must provide a safe biking route between Upper Laurel and its sister school, Lower Laurel. The Laurel Connector Bike Route will keep kids safe while also reducing the number of cars driving on our streets.
We, the undersigned, request that the Menlo Park City Council take immediate action to make Safe Routes to Schools and specifically, the Laurel Connector Bike Route, a priority. We request that the City implement the following recommendations to protect the safety of our children (click HERE for route map)*:
- Gilbert Avenue: Add bike lanes on both sides of the street that are separated from car traffic with a painted striped buffer, and remove on-street parking on both sides of Gilbert Avenue from Menalto Ave. or Central Ave. to Willow Road. This stretch of road will be “No Parking” 24/7.
- Willow Road intersection with Gilbert Avenue: Add a crossing guard and light changing button for bikes.
- Add a stop sign in both directions on:
- Coleman Avenue at Santa Monica Avenue
- Central Avenue at Walnut Avenue
- O’Connor Street at Elliott Drive
- Support safety improvements outlined in Staff Report 16-008-TC that include restricted parking, reduced speeds sidewalk repairs and added signage on Elliott Dr., O’Connor St., Menalto Ave., and Oak Court.
- Make further improvements to Elliott Dr., O’Connor St., Walnut Ave., Menalto Ave., Gilbert Ave., Santa Monica Ave., and Coleman Ave.:
- Remove on-street parking on both sides of the street during school drop off and pick up hours (approximately 8:00 to 10:00am and 2:00-3:30pm).
- Reduce speed limit (15 mph).
- Add signage and make improvements at key locations and intersections to make sure that the entire route between Upper and Lower Laurel Schools (and surrounding schools) is as safe as possible.
*By signing this petition, I certify that I have read this entire petition including maps (Click HERE for route map) of the proposed traffic management features. I understand that I must use my home address when signing so that my signature can be validated.
Today: Jen is counting on you
Jen Wolosin needs your help with “Menlo Park City Council: Provide a safe biking route between Upper and Lower Laurel, and to surrounding schools.”. Join Jen and 95 supporters today.