Please postpone the vote on HB 636 in the January 2012 session. HB 636 is a bill that would create a new city of Brookhaven in DeKalb County without considering the impact on surrounding communities.
This effort is unthoughtful and unplanned and the legislator pushing it, Representative Mike Jacobs, will not listen to the people. We do not need to create new governments without proper discussion and planning. More time is needed to work out concerns about the proposed city of Brookhaven.
This bill is being rushed. Slow it down as the people are asking!
1. HB 636 has not been properly studied. The boundaries are not even final. There are serious questions about the feasibility study that citizens deserve to have answered before they are expected to vote.
2. There was not fair representation in creating the proposed boundary map for the city.
3. Communities are being forced to be included in a city without being asked if they wanted to form a new city.
4. Many neighborhoods want to annex into a different municipality, the City of Chamblee, instead of being included in a map for a new city. The Sexton Woods neighborhood is already 1/2 in Chamblee and needs time to decide if the rest of the neighborhood wants to join, instead of being forced into Brookhaven. This is just an example.
5. The boundaries of the proposed city included disputed commercial areas associated with other neighborhoods, when those neighborhoods were left out of the proposed city.
6. There was no thought given to the effects on surrounding neighborhoods or greater DeKalb County. Incorporation done in an unplanned manner leads to islands and boundary problems.
7. Rep. Jacobs is unwilling to slow down the incorporation process despite having been asked to do so by his constituents, non-constituents, DeKalb County and state officials.
pat thomas started this petition with a single signature, and now has 408 supporters. Start a petition today to change something you care about.