Mayor Schultz: We Don't Need the Buc-ee's Behemoth in Boerne
0 have signed. Let’s get to 200!
Don't believe the hype. Buc-ee's is a bland, soulless business that sells cheap, Chinese plastic trinkets and junk food. It may be technically located in the County (for now) but it's got the Mayor's fingerprints all over it. It doesn't belong in Boerne for a number of reasons:
1) Area Workforce Shortages (local restaurants are already suffering);
2) Enormous Size (53,000+ square foot building plus huge 10-20 acre paved lot; 5x larger than the Valero across the highway; probably the largest business on IH-10 between Cascade Caverns Road and John's Road);
3) Environmental / Safety Issues (fuel tanks totaling 1/2 Million gallons; approximately 100 gas pumps off-gassing carcinogenic fuel vapor into the neighborhood);
4) Stormwater Runoff (millions of gallons of water a year containing gasoline & oil residue spilling into Menger Springs, the Cibolo River and the Cibolo Nature Center);
5) Tax Abatement (Boerne gave Buc-ee's a sweetheart tax deal);
6) Traffic (daily vehicle visits will average 2,500; reconfiguring the exit to Buc-ee's will cost $30 Million);
7) Utilities (hookups to the City utilities will cost $3-5 Million);
8) Water Scarcity (~100 toilets and 500,000 gallons of water usage monthly; even more dependency on Canyon Lake water);
9) Zoning (the location violates the Town Entrance Overlay to the Boerne Master Plan and RUDAT Study; property still listed as "residential" on KCAD online).*
There is no Buc-ee's in Fredericksburg. Why should Boerne get stuck with this eyesore? Tell the Mayor to stop chasing the "low hanging fruit" and plan something real that will last 100 years (e.g. a museum like Fredericksburg's). All of his promises of economic benefits to Boerne from this project are a mirage. Property taxes will go to bondholders from outside the state, construction crews will go back to San Antonio and profits will go back to Buc-ee's home office (Pearland/Houston).** Most of the 170 employees won't even live in Boerne. Where's the benefit? We already have more than 25 gas stations and convenience stores in Boerne. Too much supply already in Boerne and not enough demand. The ugly truth is that Buc-ee's is designed for commuters and travelers, not tourists.
*Note (1): The address of the Buc-ee's site is 33375 Interstate 10 (KCAD Property IDs 15922 & 15923). It is a vacant, 25-acre lot right now. The old Jennings Anderson Ford building is next door and owned by Bill Miller, the BBQ guy. Bill has 55 acres.
**Note (2): Pearland, Texas, a Houston suburb and home to Buc-ee's, has been rated one of the ugliest in Texas. It is also one of the most polluted with at least one EPA Superfund Cleanup site.
Today: We Don't Need Buc-ee's in Boerne is counting on you
We Don't Need Buc-ee's in Boerne needs your help with “Mayor Schultz: We Don't Need the Buc-ee's Behemoth in Boerne”. Join We Don't Need Buc-ee's in Boerne and 111 supporters today.