Save Rye foreshore, beach and unique marine life: no more Jet Ski & Boat Ramps
This petition had 3,048 supporters
Please sign to help protect our beautiful Rye town foreshore, beach and unique marine life. The Mornington Peninsula Shire (MPS) wants to expand the Rye jet ski and boat launching facilities. The boat and jet ski ramp is in the middle of town and close to our picturesque Pier. Studies show expansion will lead to an even larger number of jet skis and boats launching from Rye town foreshore and therefore:
- increase the current danger to the unique bay dolphins – two baby dolphins have already been killed - and to our well known octopuses garden under the Pier
- increase the current danger to swimmers, divers, snorkellors, SUPs and kayak users - there are insufficient water police
- increase the risk of vessel collisions - we had one jet ski accident this year and many near misses
- even more foreshore space will be taken for jet ski and boat trailer parking - we have 126 trailer spaces & overflow parking space
- the loss of tranquil coastal space for locals and holidaymakers due to the increased noise pollution - business owners say they will lose business
- more of our town beach will be monopolised by jet ski users - look at the photo
- greater water pollution from marine debris plastic, polystyrene, fuel
The irony is expansion won’t ease waiting times – it is only an an issue for 5 days a year. We support the current 3 ramps being improved.
Please sign this petition and make sure MPS hears the Rye community - protect our foreshore, protect our marine life and protect the tranquillity of our town!!!
Today: MAC is counting on you
MAC Rye needs your help with “Mayor Mornington Peninsula Shire Council: Save Rye foreshore, beach and unique marine life: no more Jet Ski & Boat Ramps”. Join MAC and 3,047 supporters today.