Approve the beautifulPB - De Anza Pop-Up Garden
0 have signed. Let’s get to 200!
SITUATION: We need your help supporting the approval of a temporary community garden at the former De Anza Mobile Home Park. The garden will serve our community until the land is ready for use as public parkland.
BACKGROUND: There is a high demand for community gardens and it is challenging to find available land in the urban environment. A long established community garden in Pacific Beach recently closed to make way for more housing. beautifulPB, the coordinator of the Pacific Beach EcoDistrict, has identified an opportunity for a temporary “Pop-up” community garden at a location in the abandoned De Anza mobile home park. The proposed community garden can serve as a benefit to the community during the interim period while planning and design of the entire De Anza area is completed.
ASSESSMENT: This community garden will provide many benefits in alignment with the PB EcoDistrict such as:
- Provide the ability to teach and grow food for the wide range of socioeconomic residents within the area.
- Make locally grown, fresh produce available in support of healthy lifestyles.
- Educate users on urban agriculture and sustainable gardening techniques which can be exported to private homes and residences in support of water and storm water management, soil maintenance, and future gardening initiatives.
- Provide beautification along the North Mission Bay Drive terminus, bike path and Mike Gotch Memorial Bridge.
- Support the PB EcoDistrict Performance areas of collaboration, community engagement, appropriate development, water and health and well-being.
- Provide a constant presence of activity at the perimeter of the De Anza footprint to promote safety and awareness through “eyes on the street”.
The City of San Diego will need assurance that the land will be vacated for use as parkland when the De Anza Revitalization Plan is ready for implementation. This and other issues will be addressed in a contractual agreement.
RECOMMENDATION: Show your support for approval of this Community Garden by signing the petition and sharing with a friend. LET THE GARDENERS GROW!
Today: Paula is counting on you
Paula Gandolfo needs your help with “Mayor Kevin Faulconer: Approve the beautifulPB - De Anza Pop-Up Garden”. Join Paula and 102 supporters today.