Approve Garnet Avenue Farmers Market
This petition had 195 supporters
SITUATION: We need your help in supporting a weekly Pedestrian Mall for a Farmers' Market on Garnet Avenue between Mission Blvd and Cass St. every Tuesday from 2pm-7pm. #FreeGarnet
BACKGROUND: Our application to have the Tuesday Farmers' Market moved from Bayard St. to Garnet Ave was just denied again. There is strong support for this change except Metropolitan Transit System (MTS) coordinators who say it will be harder to keep two bus routes on time and SD Police with their concern that closing two blocks of Garnet Ave will cause traffic delays. We need public support to demonstrate to our elected government that we want them to make this work for our community just as in Little Italy, OB and other places with weekly events on their main streets.
ASSESSMENT: This weekly event will provide many benefits to make PB more sustainable, livable and connected.
- Improved pedestrian safety by eliminating motor vehicles from this area for 5 hours
- Revitalize and promote the business district
- Create a weekly gathering place and sense of community identity
- Provide healthy local produce and products
- A non-car centric environment supports the PB EcoDistrict Principles and the City of San Diego Climate Action Plan
- Experience what a pedestrian-oriented Garnet can be!
Bus rerouting although inconvenient, is something we expect of MTS when the needs of the community change.
Safety of pedestrians, bicyclists and motorists is our primary concern and Garnet Avenue is one of the most dangerous corridors for motor vehicle-related pedestrian and bicycle collisions in San Diego. Let's move the cars off Garnet for a few hours to see how we like it!
RECOMENDATION: Help our community come together for a #FreeGarnet by signing this petition and sharing with a friend.
Today: Chris is counting on you
Chris Olson needs your help with “Mayor Kevin Falconer: Approve Garnet Avenue Farmers Market - beautifulPB”. Join Chris and 194 supporters today.