Save the Cambridge Youth Service
0 have signed. Let’s get to 500!
I am a parent of two children who enjoy spending time at the Cambridge Youth Service. We recently read in the Post newspaper that the service is under threat of closure.
For the following reasons we think that shouldn’t happen:
The service provides a safe, welcoming drop-in space for young people to socialise, use the internet and be creative, using art and music resources.
Young people can participate in school holiday activities, learning new skills and exploring their creativity through art and music with regular Open Mic nights and opportunities to exhibit in art exhibitions and Youth expos. The service also runs barista training and an annual young writers competition which some members enter every year. Many other leisure activities are offered during the holiday breaks, both in and outside the centre.
Young people at the centre also have the opportunity to develop leadership skills through participation in the Cambridge Youth Network, working together as a team on issues that concern them and planning activities for local young people to participate in, such as mural painting at skate parks and playgrounds, which helps instil a sense of ownership and belonging in the community.
The service caters for ages 12 – 25 and also offers information and support, informal counselling, advocacy, referrals, mental health workshops (in schools) and other related workshops.
We would love your support in campaigning to keep this important service operating. We would be very appreciative if you can help in any of the following ways:
- Call or write to the mayor and councillors at Town of Cambridge (list attached or email addresses available on the Town of Cambridge website) regarding the work of the centre, some of the outcomes, and the potential impact of closing the centre.
- Write to the Post newspaper and Western Suburbs Weekly
- We are thinking to create a campaign Facebook page. Please let me know if you would like to be considered for this page.
- Circulate this petition to other contacts and/or share it on your Facebook page.
Thank you so much for reading this, and in anticipation of any help you can provide.
Please contact me if you wish to help out any further or for updates - thank you
My email address is - email@example.com
- For your information I have attached a link to access the Cambridge Youth Service Report of its activities from 2014 - 17 from the Council website, which was tabled for the monthly council meeting in the 25 September 2018, but for some reason, the Council chose not to receive it.
**Click on the link provided, then scroll down and click on 25 September 2018 Ordinary Council Meeting, then scroll down again to Related Information and choose - CR-Attachments-September-17-2018, read pages 21 to 49.**
- Please find the link for the Mayor and Councillors email addresses -
Today: Sandra is counting on you
Sandra Flahive needs your help with “Mayor Keri Shannon: Save the Cambridge Youth Service”. Join Sandra and 204 supporters today.