Build the Scarborough Subway Extension
This petition had 358 supporters
To Mayor Tory and Toronto City Council Members:
I am reaching out to you to express my support for the extension of the Line 2 subway from Kennedy Station to Scarborough Centre.
Simply said, it's time to build better transit for Scarborough.
No new transit has been built in Scarborough since 1985. Scarborough residents continue to pay taxes but still have not seen transit infrastructure developed to support their community’s growth.
Scarborough is 25% of Toronto’s population, and is only served by 3 subway stations, whereas North York will have a total of 19 subway stations, including on a new subway extension. Further, that new subway extension includes three stations in the City of Vaughan. A subway extension in Scarborough to the Scarborough Centre area has been talked about since the 1980's and is long overdue.
Scarborough has continuously been neglected when it comes to building better transit.
It's time to build the subway extension in Scarborough. A subway extension to Scarborough Centre will:
- Provide express subway service to the over 26,000 daily commuters at the Scarborough Centre RT station – that’s more than 33 already existing subway stations
- Increase TTC ridership by providing a new, attractive and effective method of commuting between Scarborough and downtown Toronto
- Eliminate the need to transfer from SRT to subway, saving time for commuters
- Connect to over 30 TTC bus routes, as well as GO bus, Greyhound, Couch Canada, Mega Bus and Can-ar services
- Support economic growth in Scarborough and further encourage high density residential development
- Be the second-busiest terminus station in the entire TTC network, and third busiest station on the entire Line 2 (Bloor-Danforth)
It’s time for transit equity. Let’s build the transit services that Scarborough needs and deserves.
Nine of 10 Scarborough Councillors from Scarborough support the subway extension. They know what will best serve their constituents, and what will spur growth for this region. Support them in building Scarborough. Please vote in favour of the Scarborough subway extension.
Today: ConnectScarborough is counting on you
ConnectScarborough needs your help with “Mayor John Tory: Build the Scarborough Subway Extension”. Join ConnectScarborough and 357 supporters today.