Keep Eleanor Park as a park. Colonial Beach Council considers sale for development
0 have signed. Let’s get to 1,000!
We, the undersigned, do hereby petition and request Mayor Eddie Blunt and the Town Council of Colonial Beach, VA to retain Eleanor Park as a park for the following reasons:
1. Eleanor Park was dedicated for benefit and enjoyment of Colonial Beach residents in 1882.
2. Eleanor Park serves the community with much-needed waterfront greenspace and spectacular views of the Potomac River, St. Clement's Island, Cobb Island at the mouth of the Wicomico River and Wakefield, George Washington's birthplace.
Additionally, the park's green, grassy, wide acreage, shaded by tall, mature hardwood trees, offers passive recreation for all.
Eleanor Park’s trees and bordering shrubs offer protection and nesting places for ospreys and other birds including bald eagles, brown thrashers, cardinals, woodpeckers, owls, mallard ducks, blue jays, blackbirds, sparrows, wrens, hummingbirds, finches and more.
3. In 2013, after years of restoration, the Planning Commission reviewed use and recommended, in an 18-page report, to keep the 1.89 acres for all to enjoy.
4. In early 2014, the Town finished cleanup and restoration.
5. In late 2014, the Council decided to market for subdivision into lots with houses and posted “For Sale” signs. In mid-2016, two offers arrived for 20-25% less than appraised land value.
6. Any sale would deprive present and future Colonial Beach residents of enjoyment of the Park.
We ask the Mayor and Town Council to keep Eleanor Park as a park and to consider plans to enhance the park with resident participation and input.
Today: Nancy is counting on you
Nancy Duggan needs your help with “Mayor and Town Council - Colonial Beach: Keep Eleanor Park as a park. Colonial Beach Council considers sale for development”. Join Nancy and 521 supporters today.