Shortchange Solution To Fix The Roof at Green Meadow Elementary

Shortchange Solution To Fix The Roof at Green Meadow Elementary

0 have signed. Let’s get to 500!
At 500 signatures, this petition is more likely to be featured in recommendations!
Green Meadow Future Committee started this petition to Maynard Board of Selectmen and Town Officials

Dear Board of Selectmen, School Committee, Town and School Officials,

We the parents and residents of Maynard are writing to express both our concern and support for making sure we address the failing roof at the Green Meadow Elementary School in a timely fashion.  To that end, we are asking that the envelope study start immediately so this phase can be completed prior to the end of the calendar year. The timing of this step is imperative so that we can bid this project and obtain construction prices in time to request construction funding in late winter/early spring, and complete construction in the summer while the school is unoccupied prior to the start of the 2020-2021 school year. We are concerned if the building envelope study is not completed by the end of the year, we will not be able to complete the bidding process, Town Vote, and contract process in time to complete the roof replacement work during the summer months. This would result in 2 years without full use of the school, further deterioration of the roof and structure below, and increased costs to the taxpayers.  

 We also want to express our support for funding this project up to and including a debt exclusion vote at Town Meeting if other means of funding are not available.The total financial impact of a debt exclusion per tax payer in Maynard is small enough that we feel that this is currently a reasonable ask of Maynard residents. We don't anticipate this to cost taxpayers much more than one dollar per week in increased taxes should a debt override be needed.  However, if we continue to delay addressing this critical issue and the conditions at Green Meadow continue to deteriorate, the financial impact and liability may very well grow to a level that becomes unreasonable.  We recognize that our chances at getting selected for a new school building in the near future are very low. That is why we need to take this very important and necessary step until a decision about the future of Green Meadow Elementary School is decided. It is most imperative we act now and not wait until the situation creates a greater risk and liability to not only the structural integrity of the roof, but also the health and wellness of the staff, kids and visitors that walk through the doors on a daily basis.   

0 have signed. Let’s get to 500!
At 500 signatures, this petition is more likely to be featured in recommendations!