Stop The Foam! Support a phase out of polystyrene ("Styrofoam") food service containers
This petition made change with 629 supporters!
STOP THE FOAM!
Please support a phase out of polystyrene food service containers.
Polystyrene foam products are bad for human health and the environment:
- Polystyrene does not biodegrade, but instead breaks down into micro-plastics that are often consumed by seabirds and other marine animals;
- Polystyrene products are more than 90% air, causing them to break apart easily and litter waterways or blow out to sea;
- Polystyrene products are made from styrene, a known carcinogen and neurotoxin that leaches into hot, greasy food;
According to the U.S. Environmental Protection Agency, 100% of Americans have styrene in their bodies.
- Polystyrene foam products are the most toxic and least recycled (less than 1%) type of plastic;
- The resources and energy to make 1 polystyrene container could make 3 compostable containers;
Compostable products are an economical and eco-friendly alternative to polystyrene. They are non-toxic, plant-based and carried by every distributor in Hawai'i.
In many cases, the price difference between compostable and polystyrene is negligible, and there are, in fact, a number of compostable products that are cheaper than their polystyrene counterparts.
To date, there are have been no documented cases of restaurants or food providers going out of business because of similar phase outs.
Recognizing the environmental and human health impacts of polystyrene, a number of local, Maui-based restaurants have switched to compostable products.
Maui County's environment and community would greatly benefit from a phase out of polystyrene food containers. Thank you for supporting this important initiative!
Today: Surfrider Foundation: Maui Chapter is counting on you
Surfrider Foundation: Maui Chapter needs your help with “Maui County Council: Stop The Foam! Support a phase out of polystyrene ("Styrofoam") food service containers”. Join Surfrider Foundation: Maui Chapter and 628 supporters today.