- Bob NormileMATTEL Senior VP General Counsel, Secretary
- Bryan Stockton, CEOMATTEL Chief Executive Officer
- Robert EckertMATTEL Chairman of the Board
- MattelCustomer Service
- Dianne DouglasTreasurer and SVP Investor Relations is Dianne Douglas
- Neil FreidmanPresident - Mattel Brands
- Lisa Marie BongiovanniVP of Corporate Affairs
- Rachel CooperMattel Brands PR
- Chuck ScothonSVP Marketing, North America
- Diane ReichenbergerVP Consumer Products, North America
- Lisa KleinSVP Corporate Responsibility
- Geoff MassingbredSenior VP Corporate Responsibility
- Corporate Mattelmattel
- Donald AikenVP-Intellectual Property for Mattel
- Kevin FarrMATTEL CFO, Chief Financial Officer
Mattel: Stop Selling Mega Rig Shark Ship
Mattel has a product called the Mega Rig Shark Ship where kids can "[rescue] a diver from the jaws of a massive shark." The playset includes a harpoon and a "huge chomping shark with the fiercest teeth."
The Mega Rig Shark Ship perpetuates the shark attack myth -- teaching kids that sharks are fierce killers and deadly force should be used to eradicate them. In reality, shark attacks are rare. But while very few humans are injured by sharks, it is estimated that over 100,000,000 sharks are killed each year by people, mainly for their fins. Some shark populations have been depleted by over 90% and many more are rapidly on the decline, putting the species and our ocean ecosystem at risk.
Mattel is also falsely portraying how divers view sharks. The majority of divers are happy to see a shark while diving, not fearful for their lives, and most are strong advocates for shark protection and conservation. While Mattel is vilifying a species rapidly on the verge of extinction, governments around the world are passing laws to protect sharks.
Kids love sharks, but there are plenty of ways to make shark-friendly toys that don't promote dangerous misconceptions. As the largest manufacturer of toys in the world, Mattel has the opportunity to influence children to play in a way that promotes caring and protection for the world they live in.
Tell Mattel to take the Mega Rig Shark Ship off the shelves.
- MATTEL Senior VP General Counsel, Secretary
- MATTEL Chief Executive Officer
Bryan Stockton, CEO
- MATTEL Chairman of the Board
- Customer Service
- Treasurer and SVP Investor Relations is Dianne Douglas
- President - Mattel Brands
- VP of Corporate Affairs
Lisa Marie Bongiovanni
- Mattel Brands PR
- SVP Marketing, North America
- VP Consumer Products, North America
- SVP Corporate Responsibility
- Senior VP Corporate Responsibility
- VP-Intellectual Property for Mattel
- MATTEL CFO, Chief Financial Officer
As the largest toy manufacturer in the world, your company has the opportunity and responsibility to positively influence the way kids play. But instead of promoting caring and protection for the world kids live in, the Mega Rig Shark Ship is perpetuating myths about a species that's in grave danger.
Sharks are vital for healthy oceans and a healthy planet, but some shark populations have been depleted by over 90% and many more are rapidly on the decline. It is estimated that over 100,000,000 sharks are killed each year, mainly for their fins. These days, countries around the world are passing conservation laws to save sharks.
Shark attacks are rare. In reality, the majority of divers are happy to see a shark while diving, not fearful for their lives, and most are strong advocates for shark protection and conservation. Kids love sharks, too, and there are plenty of ways to make shark toys that don't promote dangerous misconceptions. I urge you to join their efforts to protect sharks and our ecosystem by taking the Mega Rig Shark Ship off the shelves and replacing it with a shark-friendly toy.
Jamin Martinelli started this petition with a single signature, and now has 4,892 supporters. Start a petition today to change something you care about.