Protect SJSU's International Students. Stop ICE Student Ban.
This petition made change with 1,718 supporters!
We urge SJSU to specifically provide international students the chance to participate in a hybrid learning model, in order to avoid being detained by ICE. Please protect our students. Currently, SJSU is projected to be 100% online, which unfortunately will mean that all international students studying at SJSU will have to leave the country, which is not safe or economically feasible for all. Provide our international students with the support that they need during this time. As long as ICE maintains their Student Ban, international students will need to be enrolled in at least one in person course.
The recent announcement by ICE regarding international student status in the US is a dangerous, xenophobic action. It will cause major health risks, especially during the COVID pandemic. SJSU has a responsibility to protect all of their students, and preserve their right to the just, and full educational experience that they are paying for.
**Please do not donate! The money goes directly to change.org; please save your funds for donations that are more needed elsewhere**
Below is some background information on the ICE Student Ban Statement:
Who is affected?
Students with F-1 and M-1 nonimmigrant visas. Higher Education in the US is comprised of over 1 million international students. The SJSU community proudly serves over 4,000 international students. International students have contributed approximately $41 billion to the US economy yearly.
What does it mean?
- If your school is 100% online, you may not stay in the US. If your school is operating normally, you may not take more than 1 online class.
- If your school is a hybrid model, you can take more than 1 online class provided that you have form I-20 filled out.
- Students who do not comply will face “immigration consequences including, but not limited to, the initiation of removal proceedings.”
What else can you do?
- Use this toolkit to educate yourself on how to prepare for ICE raids: https://www.immigrantdefenseproject.org/raids-toolkit/
- Use this booklet to read up on your rights against ICE: https://www.immigrantdefenseproject.org/ice-home-and-community-arrests/
- Call your federal representatives in Congress to denounce ICE's policy! It will take only 10 minutes, and can cause the most impact!!!!
- You can find your House Representative by entering your zip code here: https://www.house.gov/representat…/find-your-representative
- You can find your Senate representative in the link here:
Today: Zenab is counting on you
Zenab Ali needs your help with “Mary Papazian: Protect SJSU's International Students”. Join Zenab and 1,717 supporters today.