Reverse the decision to cut Arriva Midlands funding - save Sunday services
0 have signed. Let’s get to 2,500!
Staffordshire County Council have made the decision to stop subsidies to Arriva Midlands which enables them to run evening and Sunday services from their Cannock depot (serving Cannock, Huntington, Stafford, Little Haywood, Norton Canes, Burntwood, Litchfield, Penkridge, Rugeley, Hednesford, Cheslyn Hay and Great Wyrley). This means all evening and Sunday busses will be withdrawn from April 1st 2018 and affecting hundreds of people, particularly the elderly, will be unable to travel during these times where there are no alternate operators.
Some elderly and disabled users may have little opportunity to leave the house, and by cutting bus services back this leaves even less opportunity. A regular user of one of the Cannock services relies on Arriva to care for his disabled brother; he still requires the same care on Sundays, but how is he able to travel to him? Both Cannock and Stafford hospitals will be cut off - neither train station are close enough to the hospitals (nor town centres).
In addition to this, users paying as much as £520pa for a Cannock/Stafford region, or £800pa for West Midlands region bus passes will receive less value for money. This is unfair to hard working commuters who deserve to use their pass for leisure evenings and weekends.
In Walsall and the Black Country, operators such as National Express and Diamond run regular services throughout the week, as frequent as every 7 minutes. The people of Cannock and Stafford have the same needs.
*Simon Mathieson, of Arriva Midlands, said: "It will become financially unsustainable for us to continue to cover the overheads we incur opening our Cannock depot on Sundays and we have made the decision to cancel all services that run from our Delta Way depot on Sundays with effect from April 1.”
Affected services, as of 26th March, include:
- 2E - Walsall to Hednesford (via Bloxwich, Great Wyrley, Cheslyn Hay & Cannock) No evening or Sundays; & not serving Hednesford
- 8 - Parkside to Moss Pit (Circular) No evening or Sundays
- 9 - Stafford to Highfields (Circular) No evening or Sundays
- 12 - Stafford to Doxey (Circular) No evening or Sundays
- 21 - Shoal Hill to Cannock (Circular) Complete withdrawal
- 25/26 - Cannock to Pye Green (Circular) No late evening or Sundays
- 60/61 - Cannock to Lichfield (via Norton Canes and Burntwood) No evening or Sundays (except Friday & Saturday evenings)
- 62/62S - Cannock to Lichfield (via Hednesford & Burntwood) No evening or Sundays and route change
- 63 - Cannock to Rugeley (via Hednesford & Pye Green) No evening or Sundays
- 70/70A - Cannock to Wolverhampton (via Featherstone & University) No evening or Sundays
- 71/71A - Cannock to Wolverhampton Withdrawal - to be replaced by Select; no evenings or Sundays
- 74 - Cannock to Stafford Hospital (via Huntington & Town Centre) No Sundays
- 75A - Stafford to Cannock (via Dunston & Penkridge) No evening or Sundays
- 76A - Stafford to Wolverhampton (via Penkridge) Complete withdrawal
- 825 - Stafford to Lichfield (via Hixon, Little Haywood & Rugeley) No evenings or Sundays (except Friday & Saturday evenings)
ALL of the above will no longer run on Sundays or evenings (except 825 and 60 on Friday & Saturday evenings).
Arriva have published the specific changes to routes here -https://www.arrivabus.co.uk/midlands/updates/changes-to-services-in-cannock--stafford-areas-from-1-april-2018/
Please sign this petition in an attempt to convince Staffordshire County Council and Cabinet member for Commercial, Mark Deaville, to reverse their decision and maintain funding for these vital services. Thank you.
==== As of July 2018 National Express WM now run a Walsall-Lichfield service via Burntwood 7 days a week. ====
==== As of September 2018 a further four routes will be withdrawn - 826, 827, 835 and 837. ====
*https://www.expressandstar.com/news/local-hubs/staffordshire/cannock/2018/02/15/arriva-scraps-sunday-bus-services-in-stafford-and-cannock/#FPpb6DY1ZxBaR0wX.99 Accessed 15/02/2018
^Image property of Reiss Laventine (thank you)
Today: L is counting on you
L Murphy needs your help with “Mark Deaville: Reverse the decision to cut Arriva Midlands funding - save Sunday services”. Join L and 2,393 supporters today.