For the 2012-2013 school year, the district restructured class times in the following areas:
- Art education instructional time was reduced by 66%
- Music education instructional time was reduced by 60%
- Physical education instructional time was reduced by 33%
These changes were made to allow for the expansion of math and language art classes by 30 minutes.
The arts are a vital part of a well-rounded educational curriculum.
Art, music and physical education:
- Provide students with an academic edge in high school and beyond when experienced consistently.
- Allow our students the opportunity to use some of the most powerful and complex symbol systems in existence.
- Support the development of critical thinking skills.
- Provide both motivation and opportunities for success for at-risk students.
- Serve as an outlet for students who struggle with academics.
- Build self-esteem and self-confidence.
- Provide an ability to better focus on math and language arts because of the break to release energy throughout the day.
Because it is essential that every student succeed in school, these classes should be required throughout the entire school year.
Our children – and our teachers – need the district to reverse this scheduling change. All children should have art, music and physical education at a 100% level.
Please sign below to show your support.
Katie Thompson started this petition with a single signature, and now has 716 supporters. Start a petition today to change something you care about.