Manchester deserves better mental health services. There must be no cuts in services, jobs or staff.
This petition had 805 supporters
We are extremely concerned about mental health services for Manchester people.
We deplore the scandal of under-resourced services and exhausted, overworked staff.
We demand adequate funding for better mental health services to meet needs.
There must be no cuts in services, jobs or staff.
• Manchester Mental Health & Social Care Trust is £6.1m in deficit this year. It plans to make drastic cuts in frontline services to ‘break even’.
• Job cuts and redundancies have left the remaining staff overstretched.
• Staff are exhausted, stressed, ill; many regularly work 7-8 hours unpaid extra hours a week.
• Waiting lists to see Community Mental Health Teams are 7 – 8 months. Vulnerable service users who need the Care Programme Approach support and treatment have to wait up to 9 months. People needing counselling can wait for up to a year.
• Lack of in-patient beds, staff shortages and community service waiting lists lead to pressure to discharge people when they are not really well enough.
• Wards are often understaffed or rely on agency staff to fill gaps; the low ratio of staff to patients is unsafe.
• Teams funded by public health money through Manchester City Council – Health & Wellbeing, Recovery & Connect, Supported Housing – have been slashed and jobs lost. Drug and alcohol services and Physical Activity on Referral are waiting to hear if they will be privatised.
• Vicious austerity affects many Manchester people and is bad for physical and mental health. Welfare benefit cuts and sanctions especially for disabled people, the bedroom tax, more homelessness mean unendurable distress and greater need for mental health services.
Today: Caroline is counting on you
Caroline Bedale needs your help with “Manchester Mental Health and Social Care Trust: Manchester deserves better mental health services. There must be no cuts in services, jobs or staff.”. Join Caroline and 804 supporters today.