Take action against lawyers ML Sharma and AP Singh
This petition had 335,694 supporters
In a documentary titled "India's Daughter", aired by the BBC on the controversial Delhi gang rape case, two lawyers who were defending the rapists have made several derogatory comments against the victim as well as womanhood in general. If you feel that these lawyers should be condemned for what they have said, please sign this petition to the Chairman of the Bar Council of India to take appropriate action against them.
I am quoting below the relevant statements made by these lawyers:
M L Sharma Statements:
1. A female is just like a flower. It gives good looking…very softness performance, pleasant. But on the other hand, a man is like a thorn. Strong, tough enough. The flower always need protection. If you put that flower in a gutter, it is spoilt. If you put that flower in a temple, it will be worshipped.
2. In our society we never allow our girls to come out from the house after 6:30 or 7:30 or 8:30 in the evening with any unknown person.
3. They left our Indian culture. They were under the imagination of the film culture, in which they can do anything.
4. She should not be put on the streets just like food. The ‘lady’, on the other hand, you can say the ‘girl’ or ‘woman’, are more precious than a gem, than a diamond. It is up to you how you want to keep that diamond in your hand. If you put your diamond on the street, certainly the dog will take it out. You can’t stop it.
5. You are talking about man and woman as friends. Sorry, that does not have any place in our society. A woman means, I immediately put the sex in his eyes.
6. We have the best culture. In our culture, there is no place for a woman.
A P Singh’s Statements:
1. That girl was with some unknown boy who took her on a date.
2. If very important…very necessary... She should go outside. But she should go with their family members like uncle, father, mother, grandfather, grandmother, etc. etc. She should not go in night hours with her boyfriend.
3. Singh is shown saying: If my daughter or sister engaged in pre-marital activities and disgraced herself and allowed herself to lose face and character by doing such things, I would most certainly take this sort of sister or daughter to my farmhouse, and in front of my entire family, I would put petrol on her and set her alight.” When asked at a later point in the film if he stands by those comments, he replies that he does.
Today: Sirisha is counting on you
Sirisha Sinha needs your help with “Manan Kumar Mishra, Chairman, Bar Council of India: Take action against lawyers ML Sharma and AP Singh”. Join Sirisha and 335,693 supporters today.