- Lucy MbuguaManaging Director, Kenya Airports Authority
Make Kenya A Child Sex Tourism Free Zone
Every year more than 1.5 million tourists come into Kenya through Kenyan airports and airstrips. While most of these tourists come to Kenya to enjoy their holidays, some of them engage in commercial sexual exploitation of children.
“I don’t want to lose another friend to the beach,” says Kadzo, a 12-year-old girl from Malindi. Her friend is one of the 50,000 children that have been trapped into a life of sex slavery along the Kenyan coast.
Kadzo and 4,735 other girls and boys from the coastal region of Kenya have already signed a petition calling on the authorities to help make Kenya a child sex tourism free zone. This is because sex tourists come to Kenya because they believe that paedophilia is legally and culturally accepted in Kenya. The tourists coming into Kenya have to be made aware that child sex tourism is not condoned in Kenya.
As major entry points into the country, the airports and airstrips must have signs warning tourists about the consequences of child sex tourism. This abhorrent practice cannot continue! If the Kenya Airports Authority agrees to take these actions, it will be a major step towards making Kenya a child sex tourism free zone.
- Managing Director, Kenya Airports Authority
More than 50,000 children are stuck in a life of sex slavery along the Kenyan coast. Children as young as 12 say they are being lured into prostitution and pornography by tourists. This is robbing these children of their right to an education and their right to be children.
Every year more than 1.5 million tourists come into Kenya through Kenyan airports and airstrips. In your capacity as the Managing Director of the Kenya Airports Authority, we urgently call on you to:
• Put up signs in all the airports and airstrips in Kenya warning child sex tourists that child sex tourism is an illegal practice and not condoned in Kenya.
• Ensure that these signs are put in strategic locations for maximum visibility.
• Instruct that all audio announcements made in all airports and airstrips in Kenya make reference to the country’s laws against child sex tourism
With your help we will move closer to making Kenya a child sex tourism free zone.
Walk Free started this petition with a single signature, and now has 16,127 supporters. Start a petition today to change something you care about.