Bring Public Montessori (Back!*) to Madison, Wisconsin
By signing this petition, I support creating a public Montessori school in the Madison Metropolitan School District.
All children in Madison deserve quality education. A public Montessori school is a way to provide Madison children with an experience through which they can achieve educational success, independence, and a life filled with genuine kindness for others and the world.
*Did you know there was once a thriving Public Montessori school in MMSD? It was housed at Longfellow Elementary and closed when the Longfellow school was phased out. Let's bring this option back!
- Madison Board of Education
Public Montessori schools have been a tremendously successful option as public school programs and charter schools throughout the United States and in many cities and towns throughout Wisconsin. Help make Madison a part of this movement.
Public Montessori education:
- is for all children, regardless of socio-economic background
- is less expensive to operate than conventional schools, due to long-lasting materials and large class sizes
- allows children to develop confidence, independence, and critical thinking
- has been proven to help close the “opportunity gap”
- answers the developmental needs of each individual child
- develops a genuine love of learning
- offers freedom within boundaries
- fosters a sense of personal responsibility
- addresses the needs of the whole child
- allows children to learn from their own mistakes and make their own discoveries
- teaches interpersonal ("soft") skills through lessons in grace and courtesy
- develops a strong community in the classroom and the school
- lets children learn from each other in mixed-age classrooms
- is aligned with Common Core standards
- includes opportunities for service learning and real-world experience
- has been shown to improve academics and increase graduation rates
- celebrates and honors each student’s unique background and identity
- encourages children to spend lots of time outdoors, including a classroom garden
Please make AMI Montessori education available to all children in Madison.
Today: Allison is counting on you
Allison Bloom needs your help with “Madison Board of Education: Bring Public Montessori to Madison, Wisconsin”. Join Allison and 229 supporters today.