Don’t Rezone the Orr Block in Newtonville
If you live in Newton, please sign this petition sponsored by Neighbors for a Better Newtonville…
This is a request to the distinguished members of the City Council of Newton, MA, to vote against rezoning the 2.85-acre Orr Block and nearby buildings to accommodate one or more five-story buildings. The height, mass, and design of the proposed development are inconsistent with the scale and style of Newtonville’s historic village center. The current proposal would add 161-171 apartments, most of them very expensive, yet would provide little net gain in affordable units, and would not contribute to improving Newton’s housing affordability.
The related social costs of the development would be too high. It would:
- Increase traffic and parking problems
- Drive up property taxes and rents in the village
- Increase pressure on schools
- Displace many current residents, businesses, and employees
- Spur land speculation, leading to more oversized developments
- Inhibit restoration of historic structures
- Result in environmentally wasteful demolition debris for landfills
- Discourage customers, who will avoid the area during construction
For more information about why we oppose rezoning, click here.
Today: Neighbors for a Better is counting on you
Neighbors for a Better Newtonville needs your help with “MA: Don’t Rezone the Orr Block in Newtonville”. Join Neighbors for a Better and 57 supporters today.