Lopez Middle School: Expulsion of the child and District to come up with better guidelines
Every student should feel comfortable and safe at school. In wake of the Sandy Hook elementary school mass shooting, situations like the below should be taken more serious.
On the morning of Nov. 6, 2012, at Lopez Middle School located in the North East ISD on Hardy Oak Blvd, a racial incident occurred which I believe requires the public’s attention, especially in the wake of the mass shooting that occurred last week. A middle school aged boy who attends Lopez Middle School approached a few students and began to lay out a plot that included killing my 11-year-old sister with a hammer because “black people don’t deserve to be on the earth”. Students whom were told of his plan reported it to their teacher.The teacher then made contact with the principle who detained the boy and contacted NEISD Police. When the police arrived at the school campus they searched the boy and found the weaponin his backpack. The boy was then removed from the school.
Now let’s fast forward a few hours. My sister attends an afterschool program called KIN at the middle school. When my mother picked her up from school she asked my sister the normal question, “How was your day?” my sister then said “this boy said he was going to kill me with a hammer”. Needless to say, my sister was the first contact my parents received regarding the incident. My parents have been in communication with the school for the past month and have been given the rundown of the events. The initial meeting my parents had with the school officials concluded in a lot of uncertainty.
We tried to let the school officials handle the situation but we have now been told that the weapon (hammer) the student possessed was categorized as a level three weapons by NEISD,which means he will only be suspended for 75 days. The 75-day period will end in January 2013, then the boy will be allow to return to Lopez Middle School. We are appalled by the school and the district’s decision as to the magnitude of the incident, the marginalizing of the weapons, and to allow the boy to return to the school this school year. He should be expelled per previsions under Category 1 Offense under the NEISD Student Code of Conduct 2012 – 2013http://www.neisd.net/pupil/documents/StudentCodeofConduct1213.pdf.
My family’s concern is that this boy hasn’t learned his lesson and that he will be smarter in his next attempt by not informing others. We as a family also want to thank the students who did the right thing and told the teacher, because without them I could have possibly lost my younger sister that day.
We are a military family, my father served 21 years in the U.S.Marines and my mother also works as a federal civilian. We have lived and visited places all over the United States and abroad in Okinawa, Japan for 6 years before moving to San Antonio. We’ve never been treated like this, especially here on our own soil, where we are supposed to feel comfortable and safe. If this boy is able to return to the school, my sister’s safety will be at a constant risk. Imagine how she would feel if she had to walk past a person that said they wanted to kill you every day in the hall ways? It is my belief that the school or NEISD doesn’t want to draw too much attention to this serious incident and wants to brush it under the rug. I refuse to let this situation stand unchallenged until this child is expelled and sent to a place that can help him deal with the feelings that he expressed verbally. I don’t want things to be fast forwarded a few years down the line and he’s the next mass shooter. I want the young boy to get the help he needs and deserves but at the same time my sister and her safety is my parents and my primary concern.
Today: Ashley is counting on you
Ashley Calhoun needs your help with “Lopez Middle School: Expulsion of the child and District to come up with better guidelines”. Join Ashley and 225 supporters today.