Reject the Bishopsgate Goodsyard development proposals.
This petition had 11,404 supporters
In the heart of Shoreditch, Spitalfields and Brick Lane, the Bishopsgate Goodsyard is one of London’s most unique and challenging development sites, worthy of innovation, creative and inspiring architecture, and a real understanding of its business and residential communities.
The faceless corporate architecture - proposed by a joint venture between developers Hammerson and Ballymore - is completely wrong for this area and will damage the community and environment as well as blocking out light for thousands of people.
We support development, but only if it actually enhances the physical and social environment - not destroys it.
We therefore object to the updated proposals unveiled by the developers on 18th June 2015, on the grounds that they still do not address the fundamental faults of the scheme including:
- Inappropriately tall buildings of up to 46 storeys that will block the sun from hundreds of homes in a wide area to the north.
- Its failure to address a critical need for affordable housing for rent, or employment and training opportunities for local people
- Inadequate proposals for ensuring workspace is affordable for local small businesses and start-ups
- Its failure to provide proper community benefits
- Its lack of respect of the many heritage assets of the site as well as the existing culture and community of the Shoreditch, Spitalfields and Brick Lane areas
- The dull, corporate, high-rise architecture that disastrously conflicts with and clearly harms the adjacent low-rise Conservation Areas.
The updated proposals for the scheme are a bitter disappointment and are merely a token gesture towards addressing community concerns about the fundamental faults of this £800 million scheme.
The community campaign, More Light More Power, has launched this petition in response to these updated proposals. We call on all local residents, businesses, Londoners and visitors to the area to sign our petition which asks Tower Hamlets and Hackney Councils, Boris Johnson and the Greater London Authority to reject the current scheme outright.
We thank you for your support.
Shoreditch, Spitalfields & Brick Lane residents & businesses
More Light, More Power
Developers website: www.thegoodsyardlondon.co.uk
Today: Andrea is counting on you
Andrea Hofling needs your help with “Local Councils and the GLA: Reject the Bishopsgate Goodsyard development proposals”. Join Andrea and 11,403 supporters today.