Stop the artificial fluoridation of Austin's drinking water
This petition had 528 supporters
Austin City Council has been presented multiple times with the harms of artificial water fluoridation and has failed to act in the interest of the public’s health and right to self-ownership. We the people hold this mass medication lacking informed consent to be unconstitutional, inhumane, and criminal for the following reasons:
1. Lack of Informed Consent: As a result of the inhumane and unethical studies conducted in the concentration camps during World War II, the Geneva Declaration (Physician's Oath) states that individuals have the basic human right to informed consent for medical treatment. Adding fluoride to water for the sole purpose of preventing tooth decay (a non-waterborne disease) is a form of medical treatment. With water fluoridation we are allowing governments to do to whole communities (forcing people to take a medicine irrespective of their consent) what individual doctors cannot do to individual patients.
2. Hydrofluorosilicic Acid: The fluoride added to our water system is not medical grade fluoride. It is sourced from phosphate fertilizer manufacturers. These manufacturers are required to trap the Hydrofluorosilicic Acid byproduct using wet scrubbers because it is considered to be too toxic to release into the atmosphere and too hazardous to discard into a land fill.
3. Dosage: Once fluoride is put in the water it is impossible to control the dose each individual receives due to the fact that people drink different amounts of water. This puts certain individuals at greater risks of harm such as athletes, who drink greater amounts of water, and especially infants, who have significantly less body mass.
4. Safety Is Not Guaranteed: Multiple studies have shown the harmful effects fluoride has the human brain. 18 human studies from China, India, Iran, and Mexico have found elevated levels of fluoride exposure to be associated with IQ deficits in children. Fluoride's impact on IQ is exacerbated among children with low-iodine exposure. Several recent studies have found that even adult exposures to fluoride may result in central nervous system disturbances.
5. Cost: The City of Austin spends approximately $800,000 annually to purchase fluoride for the city’s water.
It is time for the City of Austin to protect us from this toxic chemical that is added to our drinking water. We the People of Austin, demand that Austin City Council halt the artificial fluoridation of our water supply immediately.
Today: Stephanie is counting on you
Stephanie Nasr needs your help with “Lee Leffingwell: Stop the artificial fluoridation of Austin's drinking water”. Join Stephanie and 527 supporters today.