Grand View Parents and Community Members Against Charter Co-location
This petition had 837 supporters
Help support our Special Education, Spanish Immersion and English Learning Academy programs. Stop Charter Co-location at Grand View Blvd. Elementary.
We have learned that Citizens of the World-Mar Vista has been offered a significant amount of space on our campus. As concerned parents and community members at Grand View we are opposed to charter co-location. We realize that current California law (Proposition 39) allows for “empty” classrooms to be allocated to charter schools seeking space in district facilities. Unfortunately, that has come to mean any space without a dedicated teacher and student roster, including school libraries, computer labs, art and music studios, and rooms for support services — key components in providing quality education at any school. This proposed co-location threatens to deprive Grand View students of these critically important resources.
Did you know that…?
• We are 1 of only 4 schools in all of LAUSD that has a fully integrated special education program (mild to moderate and moderate to severe disability) and the classrooms you would take away from us house our Physical and Occupational Therapy services which would likely move to our hallways.
• We have LAUSD’s longest-running dual language Spanish immersion program (founded 27 years ago) where our students learn about other cultures through music, dance, art, and cooking and by occupying these classrooms you would eliminate this successful enrichment model.
• We have over 700 students (ETK to 5th grade) in our Spanish Immersion, English Learning Academy, and Special Education programs from truly diverse socio-economic backgrounds and we integrate our art and physical education programs in these classrooms.
• We would lose our only dedicated computer lab, serving as the single point of access to the internet for many of our students, on the heels of receiving funding for upgrades.
• Our programs are in demand with enrollment numbers on the rise and by adding several hundred more students to our space you would complicate an already-congested traffic pattern and impede our growth.
Grand View is a shining example of a community school. Please do not let co-location destroy our community resources. Our students are counting on you!
Today: Grand View Parents and Community Members Against Charter Co-location is counting on you
Grand View Parents and Community Members Against Charter Co-location needs your help with “LAUSD Board Members and Citizens of the World-Mar Vista: Grand View Parents and Community Members Against Charter Co-location”. Join Grand View Parents and Community Members Against Charter Co-location and 836 supporters today.