Stop the development of 40-44 Kingsway and the inevitable overdevelopment of Cronulla
This petition had 3,051 supporters
~*Sign to save our unique venues or to let the council know we would like unique venues in their place*~
The Sutherland Shire Council is proposing the demolition of properties along 40-44 Kingsway Cronulla, the properties that take the corner of Wilbar Avenue are Pro Dive, Cronulla Beach Backpackers, El Sol and Space 44. The $12.7 million plans outline a six-storey mixed commercial and residential development including 4 commercial stores on the ground floor, 18 residential apartments above, a rooftop communal area and 34 basement parking spaces to accommodate with access via the rear on Wilbar Lane. It can be assumed that the parking is residential parking only.
A few problems arise with such a development:
- Traffic to/from Wilbar Ave to the Kingsway is already an issue, increasing traffic flow onto Wilbar Lane in order to access a carpark will increase congestion at this already troubled intersection. This will affect how you get to and from the main town area!
- The removal of two culturally significant venues for music and art will limit creative performers in Cronulla. This will decrease Cronulla's diversity and capacity to support young artists. Create more unique venues if you are to remove some.
- The removal of Cronulla's only backpackers will decrease revenue created by tourism and remove Cronulla from the travellers map.
- Potential intersection of an old Jemena gas utility running perpendicular to the Kingsway may be an issue
- The percentage of trimming of the heritage protected Fig Tree on the corner of Wilbar Ave/Kingsway required to make way for development is still yet to be determined. It is confirmed that at least one supporting root of the tree is to be severed for the development.
The planned proposal goes against several points stated in the 'Cronulla Town Centre Public Domain Master Plan':
- "Enhance the arrival experience at Kingsway and the Railway Station"
- Increased congestion at the Wilbar Ave/Kingsway intersection will inhibit this
- "Investigate options to improve parking and local traffic"
- Creating more residential dwellings and providing parking for only those dwellings does not improve parking but worsens traffic in the area
- "Explore local history and stories past and present"
- It cannot be denied that El Sol, Space 44, Pro Dive (Since 1969) and our backpackers are rich with stories past and present. Stories of everyone coming together over music and art, backpackers experiencing the life we're lucky to have in Cronulla and of people braving there first dive for almost 50 years!
- "Create a diverse safe night time experience"
- The removal of two culturally significant venues for music and art will limit creative performers in Cronulla. This will decrease Cronulla's diversity and capacity to support young artists.
- Ensure Cronulla is a "unique and memorable place" not "trying to be somewhere else"
- Well it is clear removing unique venues will ensure Cronulla is no longer unique
Please sign this petition so we can show Lauren Franks (of the Sutherland Shire Council) we care about our Cronulla, we care about our culture, live music and unique places that set us aside from other seaside towns.
Also heres the link for anyone interested in reading through the proposal plans:
Today: Zoe is counting on you
Zoe Catterall needs your help with “Lauren Franks: Stop the development of 40-44 Kingsway and the inevitable overdevelopment of Cronulla”. Join Zoe and 3,050 supporters today.