The former principal Jeff Gilbert of Reynolds High School (RHS), a public high school in Troutdale, Oregon, has repeatedly ignored the needs of its Latino community. As current Latino students, very recent graduates, and supporting allies of RHS we feel that it is time for a new Principal at RHS.
It is time for new leadership that’s inclusive to organizations that support our community. It is time for more resources and support for Latino students, and we need to start that by not bringing Jeff Gilbert back.
Statistically, in Reynolds, 41 percent of Latinos will graduate and drop out rates continue to increase. Latinos at RHS make up 37 percent of enrollment and it continues to increase every year. As students of color, we need a new principal that will hire new bilingual/bicultural teachers and counselors, allow outside Latino organizations to provide services and empowerment to current students, a new principal that understands the importance of communicating with Latino parents, a principal that fully embraces Latino equity and equality for all students and one that inspires higher education for Latinos and ALL students at RHS.
Here are other reasons Gilbert should go...
• His emergency six-month extension license from the Teachers Standards and Practices Commission expired. He applied for a second extension but it was not granted.
• Is under investigation from the school board for property damage and misuse of student fee money
• Has been accused of racism by 3 Latino administrators
• Has been accused of sexism by female job applicants
• Has a tort-claim against him by a special education assistant
• Has been previously put on probation from two other schools
• Has mistreated employees, since he began at RHS in 2008.
• Has put emphasis on military service rather than higher education.
We need a new culturally competent principal, that not only supports students, but respects teachers as well. Please sign the petition below to urge the Reynolds School Board and Administration to find new leadership for Reynolds High School.