Label Genetically Modified (GMO) Food Products
Genetically Modified (GM) seeds have been introduced into the world from the early 1990’s. Research in animals has shown to produce, increased liver function, increased aggression, infertility, immune problems, accelerated aging, faulty insulin regulation, and changes in major organs and the gastrointestinal system and possible increase of suicides in Indian farmers. (200,000 suicides in recent years)
The seeds are mainly soybean, corn, canola, and cotton. The seed was developed to increase food production, lower production costs and lower the amount of pests that destroy the crops.The process is the insertion, deletion or transfer of genes. They add a genetic material into an organism.
Monsanto is the company located in Missouri, that develops and patients the GM seeds. In 2007, Monsanto’s seeds were planted on 246 million acres (1,000,000kn2) throughout the world.Monsanto developed “triple-stack corn” that contains Roundup Ready 2 weed control technology with YieldGard Corn Borer and YieldGard Rootworm insect control and tops the market in the U.S.
The forecast is by 2014 they will plant 56 million acres in the US. The concept of growing our food injected with pesticides, that are eaten by cows, pigs, pets and humans does not make any sense. We all know that what we eat absorbs into our bodies. Many of the products on the grocery store shelves contain some type of corn by-product for example.
Clark is a doctor in BioTechnology, reports that this lesson is in one of the first courses in BioTech: "We now know that when you insert a gene - when you randomly throw this thing in there, they don't know ahead of time where it's going to land," says Clark. "The researchers don't know how many copies will be inserted, or what other genes it will affect, or will affect it."
A Few of the Known Effects from Previous Studies:
1) In 2009, the American Academy of Environmental Medicine (AAEM) stated that, "Several animal studies indicate serious health risks associated with genetically modified (GM) food," including infertility, immune problems, accelerated aging, faulty insulin regulation, and changes in major organs and the gastrointestinal system. The AAEM has asked physicians to advise all patients to avoid GM foods.
2) Eyewitness reports: Animals avoid GMOs
a. When given a choice, several animals avoided eating GM food.
b. In farmer-run tests, cows and pigs repeatedly passed up GM corn.
c. Animals that avoided GM food include cows, pigs, geese, squirrels, elk, deer, raccoons, mice and rats.
3) The only published experiment with human feeding is using GM soy which revealed that the genetic material inserted transfers into bacteria living inside our intestines and continues to function. (Netherwood et al, “Assessing the survival of transgenic plant DNA in the human gastrointestinal tract,” Nature Biotechnology 22 (2004): 2.) This means that long after we stop eating GM foods, we may still have the GM proteins continually inside of us.
4) Feeding trials of 12 female rats ate Roundup Ready soy showed liver problems that are commonly associated with higher liver function. The livers worked harder to detoxify the effects of the GM soy, compared to the rats who were fed non-GM soy. (I.V. Ermakova, “Diet with the Soya Modified by Gene EPSPS CP4 Leads to Anxiety and Aggression in Rats,” 14th European Congress of Psychiatry. Nice, France, March 4-8, 2006)
5) Mice were fed Roundup Ready soy, experienced reduced activity of their testicular cells, the results could have serious implication on human fertility. (L. Vecchio et al, “Ultrastructural Analysis of Testes from Mice Fed on Genetically Modified Soybean,” European Journal of Histochemistry 48, no. 4 (Oct–Dec 2004):449–454.)
This is not all, Monsanto regulates their seeds and makes it illegal to re-use the seeds and the poor farmers, must purchase the seeds each season from Monsanto at increasing prices creating suicides and poverty among the farmers. The seeds blow in the the wind and contaminate the non GM crops. This creates dependency to Monsanto and our entire food system. For more information see: Our Food System and GM seed Studies and The Story About GM Seeds
This is important, Please sign this petition to demand the labeling of products that contain GM ingredients. Give us a choice of what we want to eat for our health!
When GMO foods first hit the market in 1996, labeling was not required and the American people, without their knowledge, purchased and consumed these products at the risk of their own health. I believe that we trusted our government, our farmers, and the corporations in their responsibility to provide food products that were safe for our consumption. However, this is no longer the case, as it is proven that through "Several animal studies indicate serious health risks associated with genetically modified (GM) food," including infertility, immune problems, accelerated aging, faulty insulin regulation, and changes in major organs and the gastrointestinal system." A statement that was released by the American Academy of Environmental Medicine who asked "physicians to advise all patients to avoid GM foods."
I want the ability to choose what ingredients that I consume for myself and my family. If the large amount of consumed products are not labeled "Contains GMO's", then how can I decide for myself what food to put on the table and not risk my family and my own health? It is my right, to know what is inside the food products that I purchase.
I am aware that this process is time consuming, but in reality not costly by simply adding "Contains GMO's" to the required list of ingredients. It is our governments responsibility to provide for our safety and health and this is what you are elected to do. If our government has been aware of this issue, and continues to allow our national health to be at risk, then I ask, "what kind of protective government do we have?"
I ask that you put pressure on your colleagues and partners to insist for the labeling of all food products that contain GMO ingredients and to bring this National Concern into action and with positive and productive results.