Support Youth Homelessness with Mental Health Challenges
0 have signed. Let’s get to 100!
We are third year students in the Child and Youth Work Program at George Brown College. We are writing this letter on behalf of homeless youth, and homeless youth that suffer from mental health illness (street involved youth) who often go unheard and have no platform to be heard in downtown Toronto core. It is brought to our attention that there are limited support services for this community across the Greater Toronto Area (GTA). Provided the information of the lack of services in numerous systemic systems such as education, healthcare service, and housing we are asking for your support to help us advocate for these youths and help address these issues with healthcare providers, housing providers, and educators. In doing so these are some of the concerns and request that we have that we would like you to bring to the platform:
· More accessible shelters catered to youth
· Alternatives options when referral system is back logged with waiting list
· When applying for housing you need an address for your application, this is a barrier for homeless youth that needs to be address immediate
· More Psychiatric Nurse Practitioners on site or on call in shelters
2. HealthCare Providers
· Need to be able have the education on how to identify homeless youth and can link them with community resources that can best support them
· More walk-in clinic services that you can walk in with no health card so they are able to access proper health care
· Health care providers need to be more accessible for homeless youth
· More funding for workshops to educate service providers on the barriers that street involved youth may have.
· Annual service provider training on issue of homeless youth/ homeless youth with mental illness
· More programs to help homeless youth gain their high school credits and access to post-secondary programs
· Funding to support homeless youth with tuition fees and cost of living while attending post-secondary
Homelessness and mental health is a big issue in our city especially in the youth population that goes unheard. More attention needs to be raised on this issue to create awareness and ultimately a solution. With this letter, we are hoping you can be a voice for us on a much bigger platform. We hope this is the first step in the right direction. We would appreciate if you contact to further discuss this issue, our contact information is email@example.com
Today: Kayla is counting on you
Kayla Medeiros needs your help with “Kristyn Wong Tam: Support Youth Homelessness with Mental Health Challenges”. Join Kayla and 84 supporters today.