Implement waste segregation at source in Kolkata
0 have signed. Let’s get to 100!
To: The Mayor
Kolkata Municipal Corporation
5 S N Banerjee Road
Date: January 19, 2018
Subject: Appeal for implementation of waste segregation at source
We are students of Garden High International School, Kolkata. We would like to make an appeal for proper implementation of waste segregation at source in our city.
While we can appreciate and acknowledge the giant strides taken by KMC towards waste management, we must admit that there is still a lot more that needs to be achieved, especially in the area of waste segregation at source. Amongst the many benefits, the following need to be highlighted:
· Ensure more complete and efficient recovery of recyclable waste.
· Tackle the menace of plastics and other toxic wastes.
· To make the rag pickers’ job a little more dignified so that they don’t have to rummage through muck in order to recover the recyclable waste.
‘Forum of Cities that Segregate’ has been launched on December 12, 2017 by Center for Science and Environment (CSE). Under this initiative, 20 cities and municipalities from 13 Indian states, including Delhi, Bengaluru, and Greater Hyderabad, have pledged to segregate 100% of their waste at source by October 2, 2019. With this forum, CSE aims to make waste segregation at source an easier task with the help of experienced practitioners. We firmly believe that Kolkata too, should join this forum.
We would also like to suggest the following actions for KMC:-
- Distribute separately coloured bags to individual households for recyclable and non-recyclable waste
- Enforce door to door garbage collection by KMC throughout the city (currently in place only for some areas).
- Conduct awareness campaigns to sensitise people on this issue and make them aware of their responsibilities
- Enforce (through mechanisms like audits) institutions like schools, colleges, offices and restaurants to implement waste segregation at source. Because of the inherent structure present in these institutions, it should be easy for them to follow the guidelines
We look forward to concrete action from your end.
We are also making a copy of this letter available on www.change.org in order to collect signatures of our fellow citizens.
Students of Garden High International School Kolkata
Today: Garden High International School is counting on you
Garden High International School needs your help with “Kolkata Municipal Corporation: Implement waste segregation at source in Kolkata”. Join Garden High International School and 83 supporters today.