Keep Mr. Rutan at Morristown High School
This petition had 359 supporters
An update from Mr. Manning and Mr. Rutan themselves.
- The district is abolishing a music teaching position at the high school.
- This is because the number of students requesting music electives outside of band, choir and orchestra has dropped off dramatically.
- Due to this drop off in requests 4 music teachers at the high school can no longer be justified as three teachers will be able to handle the course load.
- The high school needs a band director, an orchestra director and a choir director. As there are two band directors and only one of the others it was obvious that a band director position would be abolished .
- As I have had 18 years of Middle School experience I was the natural choice. And will be transferred to Frelinghuysen.
- The only area that can not be handled will be the lunch time lessons.
- Mr. Manning and the school district anticipated this problem and will hire an adjunct teacher who will come in and teach Symphonic Band lessons during lunch woodwinds vs brass whichever way Mr. Russo and that teacher decide will work best.
As some of you may know, it was made public information on Monday night at the Board of Education meeting that Mr. Rutan will be transferred to Frelinghuysen Middle School next year. He has been teaching in this district for about 35 years and spent the past 16 years at Morristown High School. Although he originally started working in this district at Frelinghuysen, since the time that he has been at MHS, he has been an integral part of our music department. He has made huge contributions to our whole music department in many different ways, some being marching band director, pit orchestra director, and of course, symphonic band director.
With this change, the high school music department will only have three teachers (one vocal, one band, one orchestra). This will stretch the teachers way too thinly, as they will have to cover more classes than they have time for. Also, there will be nobody here to teach lunchtime lessons to Symphonic Band students, as Mr. Russo already has his hands full with teaching lunchtime lessons to Wind Ensemble students. Symphonic Band students will no longer have the same learning opportunities as Wind Ensemble students. Even if someone is hired to teach lessons, they will not have the same vested interest in the music department. There are more negative results that will come from transferring Mr. Rutan to FMS, especially that there will not be any teacher left at the high school to deal with marching band affairs during the daytime. With Mr. Gallagher teaching band at the middle school, Mr. Rutan has acted as the liaison to the members of the marching band
The goal of this petition is to keep Mr. Rutan at Morristown High School, and it will be sent to Mr. Manning, Mr. Pendergrast, and the Board of Education.
Today: Hannah is counting on you
Hannah Feldman needs your help with “Keep Mr. Rutan at Morristown High School”. Join Hannah and 358 supporters today.