Keep Honors Classes at Hillsdale Middle School
This petition had 395 supporters
In order for a person to thrive, it is essential to have an appropriate environment that allows the rigor and challenges that will push them to succeed. Without this adequate environment, the success will be extinguished by lack of motivation, lack of competition, and excess of distractions.
Hillsdale Middle School eliminated all 6th Grade Honors courses in 2016-2017 school year. Many students who had the ability to succeed in faster-paced courses were not provided the opportunity to do so. Students whom would normally take these classes were told to find ways of challenging themselves independently in the standard common core classes. Hillsdale Middle School principal Launder announced his intent to remove all Honors courses for 6th-8th grade for the 2017-2018 school year. After a large parent voice expressed their extreme displeasure Principal Launder reinstated 7th and 8th grade Honors but not 6th grade.
The solution proposed by Principal Launder is to create a committee of both parents and teachers to discuss what programs will be best for Hillsdale in the 2018-2019 school year. This committee will not be in place until next school year and all incoming sixth graders for the 2017-2018 school year will again not have the opportunity to take Honors courses.
Hillsdale Middle School is the only middle school in the district to eliminate Honors. The new course description which focuses on Common Core can be viewed here.
What Are Honors Classes?
- Honors curriculum is designed to challenge students with a richer, more rigorous curriculum.
- Honors classes are rigorous academically challenging classes in preparation for advanced high school classes.
What Makes Honors Classes Different From Other Classes?
- Honors classes are different from other core classes in presentation, assignments, formative assessments, and summative assessments.
- Honors classes provide students the knowledge, concepts, and skills needed to engage in higher level of learning.
- Honors classes follow district curriculum framework; however, the enhanced curriculum provides for the differentiation in the level of analysis and utilization of information.
- By eliminating Honors the bar is being lowered on our children's education and closing the achievement gap.
What you can do:
- If you wish to lend your voice in keeping individual honors classes available in Hillsdale Middle School please sign this petition.
- Attend the Cajon Valley Union School District Governing Board Meeting on June 13, 2017 at 5:30 PM at the District Office. Principal Launder will present to the Governing Board his Education Plan for the 2017-2018 school year. This meeting is open to the public.
- Please also post the petition on Facebook (see button on right)and forward to friends.
Today: Concerned Parents of Hillsdale Middle School is counting on you
Concerned Parents of Hillsdale Middle School needs your help with “Keep Honors Classes at Hillsdale Middle School”. Join Concerned Parents of Hillsdale Middle School and 394 supporters today.