- Alan FinkelMonash University Chancellor
- David SouthwickMLA for Caulfield
- Nick WakelingMLA for Ferntree Gully
- Nazih ElasmarMLC for Northern Metropolitan
- Gayle TierneyMLC for Western Victoria
- Richard WynneMLA for Richmond
- John PandazopoulosMLA for Dandenong
- Hong LimMLA for Clayton
- Martin FoleyMLA for Albert Park
- Ted BaillieuPremier
- James MerlinoShadow Minister for Education
- Elizabeth MillerMLA for Bentleigh
- Geoff ShawMLA for Frankston
- Clem Newton-BrownMLA for Prahan
- Cindy McLeishMLA for Seymour
- Ed ByrneMonash University Vice Chancellor
- Peter HallMinister for Higher Education and Skills
- Daniel AndrewsLeader of the Opposition
- Sue PennicuikMLC for Southern Metropolitan Region
- John SheridanPresident of the Academic Board
- Jeffrey BenderProfessional Staff Representative
- Carol WilliamsAcademic Staff Representative
- Adam ShoemakerDeputy Vice Chancellor Education, Professor
- Edwina CornishProvost Professor
- Louise AsherMLA for Brighton
- Peter CrispMLA for Mildura
Keep democratically elected students and staff on Monash University Council! We deserve a voice!
The Victorian State Government is attempting to legislate to remove democratically elected student and staff representatives from the Monash University Council, and from University and TAFE Councils generally, as of the beginning of 2013.
These changes have already been publicly opposed by the University of Melbourne’s Council, and their opposition communicated to all staff in an email from the Chancellor, Elizabeth Alexander, on 25 October. Providing reasons for the Council’s decision, Ms Alexander stated:
We value the perspective these (elected staff and student) members bring to the debate of issues and the dedication they show to their responsibilities. Their presence is a practical application of Council's commitment to consultation and transparency.
Council believes strongly that the governance of universities is concerned with much more than business and financial outcomes and has as its objective the delivery of quality educational and social outcomes, which include broad social inclusion and equity. That should also extend to the membership of Council.
Unfortunately, all indications from the Monash University Administration suggest that Monash’s Chancellor, Alan Finkel, as well as the majority of Monash University Councillors currently support the changes.
For more information, please visit www.facebook.com/MonashUniWatch
- Monash University Chancellor
- MLA for Caulfield
- MLA for Ferntree Gully
- MLC for Northern Metropolitan
- MLC for Western Victoria
- MLA for Richmond
- MLA for Dandenong
- MLA for Clayton
- MLA for Albert Park
- Shadow Minister for Education
- MLA for Bentleigh
- MLA for Frankston
- MLA for Prahan
- MLA for Seymour
- Monash University Vice Chancellor
- Minister for Higher Education and Skills
- Leader of the Opposition
- MLC for Southern Metropolitan Region
- President of the Academic Board
- Professional Staff Representative
- Academic Staff Representative
- Deputy Vice Chancellor Education, Professor
- Provost Professor
- MLA for Brighton
- MLA for Mildura
- Minister for Education, Victoria
Dear Premier, Minister, MPs, Chancellor, Vice-Chancellor, Councillors and University Administrators,
We, the undersigned students and staff at Monash University, oppose the removal of democratically elected student and staff representatives from Monash University Council.
We demand that the Monash University Council, just like the University of Melbourne, expresses publicly its opposition to the Victorian Government’s proposed legislative changes and reaffirms its commitment to democratically elected student and staff representation, acknowledging the important contribution these positions make towards educational quality and excellence.
Further, we demand that the bill before Parliament is withdrawn so as to ensure that our right to democratically elected staff and student representation on University Council will continue to be protected.
Monash Uni Watch Admin started this petition with a single signature, and now has 451 supporters. Start a petition today to change something you care about.
Today: Monash Uni Watch is counting on you
Monash Uni Watch Admin needs your help with “Keep democratically elected students and staff on Monash University Council! We deserve a voice!”. Join Monash Uni Watch and 450 supporters today.