More than Four: Petition to Increase Federal Spending on Childhood Cancer Research.

0 have signed. Let’s get to 1,000!


Only 4% of federal cancer research funding is allotted to childhood cancers – while the remaining 96% of that cancer research funding is allotted to adult cancers.

Each year in the U.S. there are an estimated 15,780 children between the ages of birth and 19 years of age who are diagnosed with cancer. Approximately 1 in 285 children in the U.S. will be diagnosed with cancer before their 20th birthday. Each day seven children lose their battle with cancer and die from it. One out of 5 children diagnosed with cancer, will die from their disease. It is the number one disease related cause of death in children. Even if able to survive, 60% of children who survive suffer devastating late effects such as secondary cancers, muscular difficulties and infertility.

Adult and childhood cancers are biologically different. Therefore, children need different drugs and different treatment compared to adult patients.

In six years, 77 new adult cancer drugs have been discovered. However, in the last 77 years, there have been only 3 new drugs for childhood cancer. There are 12 types of childhood cancer with hundreds of subtypes, meaning treatment for some forms has not been improved in decades. This statistic alone proves that this is a broken system and needs change NOW.

The fact that Americans spend more in three days on Starbucks coffee than the federal government spends on childhood cancer research in a year is heartbreaking.

These children need you to be their voice! Sign to help demand the change these little warriors deserve.

 



Today: Kaylie is counting on you

Kaylie Koenen needs your help with “Kaylie Koenen: More than Four: Petition to Increase Federal Spending on Childhood Cancer Research.”. Join Kaylie and 770 supporters today.