Support Client and Worker Safety in the Massachusetts Department of Youth Services and Vote for H.111
This petition had 126 supporters
Please support the H.111 and the ultimate goal of improving the safety of Mass Department of Youth Services employees and clients.
Currently before the Joint Committee on Children, Families and Persons with Disabilities, Massachusetts House Bill H.111 is sponsored by Representative James O’Day. It would create a Commission with the sole purpose of reducing injury to juveniles and young adults in the care and custody of the staff of the Department of Youth Services (DYS) and reducing injuries to the staff of the department incurred as a result of violence on staff and the need by staff to intervene during client on client violence.
In a statement before the Joint Committee, AFSCME Local 1368 President Paul Faria had the following to say: “AFSCME Local 1368 has been working for many years with the Commissioner and his team through various committees to address the situation. Though there has been some progress, it has been far to little to ensure the safety of our members and clients alike.”
The Commission will consist of the following:
- Two members of the House of Representatives appointed by the Speaker of the House
- Two members of the Senate appointed by the Senate President
- The Secretary of Health and Human Services or his/her designee
- The Commission of Department of Youth Services or his/her designee
- Three representatives from the union workforce selected by the Executive Director of Council 93 of the AFSCME
- An employee of the DCF selected by the President of SEIU Local 509
The Commission shall be responsible for the following:
- Evaluating existing practices used during incidents of client assaults on staff and client on client assaults.
- Reviewing and evaluating current restraint policies and procedures.
- Evaluating the department’s process for documenting incidents of assault on staff and the department’s process for informing staff and DYS clients of the process for reporting assaults on staff.
Full text can be found here: https://malegislature.gov/Bills/BillHtml/144213?generalCourtId=12
The Commission shall report its finding no later than June 1, 2016 to; the Governor of the Commonwealth; the House and Senate Committee on Ways and Means, the Speaker of the House; the Senate President; and the Executive Director of AFSCME Council 93.
Please show your commitment to the safety of Commonwealth of MA Employees and clients in the custody of DYS and move expeditiously on H.111.
Today: AFSCME Local 1368 Massachusetts Department of Youth Services Employees is counting on you
AFSCME Local 1368 Massachusetts Department of Youth Services Employees needs your help with “Kay Khan, Jennifer Flanagan: Support Client and Worker Safety in the Massachusetts Department of Youth Services and Vote for H.111 as Sponsored by Rep. James O'Day”. Join AFSCME Local 1368 Massachusetts Department of Youth Services Employees and 125 supporters today.