Don't give up rights and freedoms for safety

Don't give up rights and freedoms for safety

0 have signed. Let’s get to 100!
At 100 signatures, this petition is more likely to be featured in recommendations!

The country is locked down because of an alleged pandemic that has affected primarily elderly people with pre-existing conditions - which make up about 3% of the population. Although our government felt it necessary to take precautions because of the fear other nations had inflicted upon the world, it is now clear that was unwarranted. As seen throughout the world and in Canada, the majority of the population (the other 97%) have a healthy immune system that enables them to fight the flu-like virus and return to a healthy life in two weeks or less.

The lockdown of Canadians and the economy of Canada is not warranted and is an infringement upon the rights and freedoms of Canadians living in a democratic society.

Because of the overreaction of our government, our economy is suffering, people are not receiving other medical care and psychological assistance that they urgently need (because of hospital restrictions on procedures) and people who would not otherwise need financial assistance are now considering it (based on the record number of assistance claims made in the country recently). The net result is that the consequences of the lockdown are far more devastating than the virus.100% of the population is adversely affected because 3% are at risk and far less are dying.

Proud home owners want to go back to work so they may keep their home and afford a better life.  Many students cannot attend class and may not be able to complete their school year - and many face a further financial burden because of it. Small  business owners have dedicated their lives to their business and are being denied the right to provide for themselves and their families. People are being denied the right to attend church services, weddings, sporting events, celebrations, going to parks, lakes and gatherings that make up so much of an enjoyable life - a life that is the entitlement of every Canadian. So much of socialization and being in nature is a big part of living a healthy life.

People throughout Canada are being denied their natural rights and freedoms. The decision of the Canadian government to deny Canadians those freedoms is an infringement on the democratic society that Canadians have fought for throughout history. .

Although this virus presents a real concern for mostly elderly people with preexisting conditions (as the flu does each year), it is clear that the mortality rate is no different than that of the flu season of 2017-2018.

It is time for the Canadian government to take action and stop the fear mongering by the media. Get the country back to work, to school, back to a normal life and let those who feel threatened stay at home. If the government of Canada would put their efforts and resources into helping those that are affected by this virus rather shutting down the country, there would be no need for layoffs, job losses, business failures, people dying because they can't get needed medical help, out of control unemployment and all the other devastating psychological effects that they are creating. The financial burden our children will face in their lifetimes because of the cost of needlessly "bailing out" Canadians when they could be at work or at school will be devastating if not corrected now. It makes far more sense to spend tax dollars to help 3% of the people instead of 100%.

We do not submit to giving up our rights and freedoms for safety. Every individual Canadian has the right to make choices about what is right for them - and right now that 97% of healthy Canadians are not accepting of being stripped of their rights and locked down and imprisoned in our homes.

The measures taken by the Canadian government to lockdown the country because 3% of the population may be affected with flu-like conditions - while the other 97% build immunity to it and are feeling normal in two weeks or less - is an overreaction. An overreaction that feels more like control that erodes the rights and freedoms of Canadians. It is time to prove that our country is based on the rights and freedoms of Canadians living in a free democratic society. Stop this lockdown - give people their lives back and make a promise that this will not happen the next flu season.

We need our history books to read that proud Canadians made intelligent decisions during a alleged crisis that saved the country, the financial health of the country and the integrity, rights and freedoms of all Canadians. The time is now.

0 have signed. Let’s get to 100!
At 100 signatures, this petition is more likely to be featured in recommendations!